A level choices - Classical Civilisation

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Re: A level choices - Classical Civilisation

Post by Catseye »

A level physics without A level maths.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 57&t=46809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Returning to the OP; CC is not a soft option (it's an RG "preferred subject") and it's not for everyone (see TSR for opinions). You need to know exactly which modules the school would offer and whether those would suit the individual: it can range from mostly literature to mostly history with plenty of architecture as a side option, you need to know what form it would take at the specific school. It's certainly an essay-heavy subject.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Nothing useful to add about classical civilisation per se, except it sounds pretty cool to me! but to say it is indeed hard to get any breadth into your A level subjects if you are mainly focussed on the STEM end. My dd is adamant she is committed to medicine/vet option but is also taking an art, in her case Music and boy is it no joke. Bio, Chem and Maths as well, she has settled on in the end. I think it's great in theory, but the reality so far is a heavy load a lot of adjustment and complications, and hard to do anything else, like live a 16 year old life!

I would rather be seen by a doctor who has more humanity going on in their mind than the content of science exams, personally.

She still laments the loss of any kind of art/drawing by year 10, and now misses French and maybe even Geography a teensy bit. But even with IB which she explored extensively, once you went down the science road, there was no room for music/art.

Do look carefully at the actual syllabus and modules that the actual school concerned is going to follow, to get an overall picture-I was surprised at how every single school I looked into had a very different take on what they were going to cover.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

thank you all for the advice and suggestions. We will investigate the course requirements and see what her teachers think. She may have changed her mind by the time we have to submit the form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now