Should I buy the A level textbooks?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverysea

Should I buy the A level textbooks?

Post by silverysea »

For maths and science? To keep at home.

Bag is very heavy and instruments are mahoosive. PE too.

What do others do?

I bought all the GCSE material two years ago and it did get used toward the end.

Last night something could not be completed at home due to lack of handy text- time to do today at school but makes it a squash time wise.
Guest55

Re: Should I buy the A level textbooks?

Post by Guest55 »

Can't they keep texts at school and bring them home when needed?

You can sometimes get online versions of texts if you google ...
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks G55, I will ask her to google.

The problem is she can't carry any more stuff. Most textbooks stay at school, I haven't seen many.
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

I did buy second hand ones for GCSE. dd has been given massive textbooks for physics and music. She doesn't need to lug those in. The maths and further maths thankfully are unit wise and not that heavy.
If she has to carry heavy text books I would either see if there's an online version/ second hand books to keep at home and leave the school copy at school.
What instruments? Musical?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I didn't buy most of them and the music anthology was huge and expensive. DS made the decision to do homework from the heavier textbooks at school, and then carried science and maths textbooks which weren't so heavy home when he needed them. We also had the instrument carrying issue, but the school had lockers for instruments, and he kept his old trumpet at school for the ensembles which didn't require his better instrument, just taking in his decent one for his lesson one day a week. Those football boots were heavy too!
I was thankful he had a locker to keep them and his books in. When DD was at school her school had no lockers so a full day's books had to be carried around all day long. True of many schools around here, and no amount of discussion with heads or Governing Bodies makes any difference.
copella

Post by copella »

Never noticed the size and heaviness being an issue for my ds. He did not have a locker but would bring to school what he needed. It was expected that DC would take home text books. The school charged us £30 deposir which we got back at the end of the year once all books were returned.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now