A Level Options

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catseye

Re: A Level Options

Post by Catseye »

I would be careful of EPQ- for example, for medicine at Manchester-a research heavy institution.

Subjects excluded from a standard offer are; Citizenship, Critical Thinking, General Studies and EPQ.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/under ... uirements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Amber wrote:
quasimodo wrote:Our courses require students to have not less than three A-levels, or other equivalent qualifications.
How ironic that a university snootily issuing declarations on the hoops its prospective students have to jump through to prove themselves clever enough to be worthy of consideration makes a basic grammar error in doing so.
:lol: :lol:

That could open a WHOLE can of worms regarding the "less than" 10 items in the supermarket queue!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Catseye wrote:I would be careful of EPQ- for example, for medicine at Manchester-a research heavy institution.

Subjects excluded from a standard offer are; Citizenship, Critical Thinking, General Studies and EPQ.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/under ... uirements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely right that these should be excluded from a standard offer. Manchester is confirming that they want 3 A levels (specifics apply about 2 of them)...they will not accept CT/GS/EPQ instead of one of the 3 A levels (hence excluded form the standard offer). This doesn't mean that they wouldn't be interested in someone who has done an EPQ to look at an aspect they are interested in - in the same way they would talk about other extra curric volunteer work etc at interview - just, thankfully, that unlike some universities they are not requiring 3 A levels ++++ with bells and whistles to boot!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"How does Oxford view the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), and can I submit this as part of my application?
Updated 17/11/2015 11.39 AM
You are not able to submit any supplementary material with your UCAS application. However, if a course requires students to submit written work to the college assessing their application after the UCAS application deadline, you can submit a 2,000 word extract from your extended project. See ox.ac.uk/writwork and the page for your course at ox.ac.uk/courses for further details.

Working on an EPQ encourages students to develop research and academic skills relevant to undergraduate study. Therefore, we would recommend anyone completing an EPQ to draw on these skills when writing your UCAS personal statement.

Whether you undertake a formal EPQ or not, you will be a more convincing applicant if you can demonstrate breadth of reading and independent research into your chosen subject; if you have pursued study beyond that required by your school syllabus. The departments' websites have further helpful advice on places you might start to think about your subject beyond your school syllabus. You can find details on the relevant course page.

However, as we do not include the EPQ in our conditional offers we would stress that your final A level (or equivalent qualification) grades are most important to your application and you should be careful that any additional independent study does not jeopardise these."

Now I am sure everyone here is able to read between the lines and understand the implicit guidance given.

For Oxford you need a very high BMAT; MAT......score, everyone gets A*A*A* on average but I would say looks stronger than A*A*AA +/- EPQ/General Studies/critical thinking, which are excellent set of results but why bother ? when you can do something more interesting instead like watching crash TV and just chillaxing.

Even those with 12A* at gcse can suffer from burnout.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Sorry I forgot to post Oxford's official advice on EPQ.

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/ ... ification-(epq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;),-and-can-i-submit

If applying to very competitive universities or courses, make it easy on yourself and for medicine once you can demonstrate that you are capable of reaching the min A level standard, then only the interview and entrance exams matter they don't care are about the number of A levels , epq's you have done, there is no advantage in increasing your workload with 5 A levels when 3 will do! You are just making a rod for your own back.

I think many of these students who are just feeding their/school/parents own ego will come to regret it.No one knows how the new linear A levels will play out so why take the risk with your DC futures or mental health ?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote: To a certain extent, taking 4 or 5 A levels, if the school can timetable, whilst it may be challenging academically, is very "easy" for the student. The school sorts it all out for them, they "just" have to turn up to the lessons and do the work.
I am afraid this is not true in the two GS that I know of. I wonder where you got your information. :?
Catseye wrote:I think many of these students who are just feeding their/school/parents own ego will come to regret it.
What is going on with you , guys? You do not understand the word PLEASURE? As you know, it is spelt P-L-E-A-S-U-R-E. You just talk about ‘ego’ . I realise now my mistake of giving the example of my DD ( knowing that there are plenty of brighter pupils who do more). I can see that you took it as bragging though this was not at all my intention, but I was trying to explain that she needed more than 3 A levels, besides also enjoying swimming and her weekly pottery lesson ( and work experience and volunteering).
Her school was not even really properly aware of the number of A level she was doing ( precisely because we were having this kind of speech: ‘3 A levels are sufficient’) and it was none of the staff’s business so we kept quiet about it.

This year, and frankly I am not saying this to brag about it :roll: , I am doing some studies for P-L-E-A-S-U-R-E , just because I LOVE your language and English literature. In fact, I feel gutted because the Brexit force me to reconsider what I will do next year and that means stopping studying in this field. What a pity :cry: : all the unit about the history of English literature would have captivated me! I just hope my literature teacher (who is a great teacher) will find the time to give me private lessons from time to time because studying English lit just makes me overjoyed and I need this breath of fresh air at least once a half term!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I'm sorry JayneEyre my cat's looking confused , I or anyone else here doesn't wants to get embroiled with your personal(and it is getting rather too personal) spat with KCG-quite frankly I don't care but offer my advice backed up with some evidence and on this one I mostly agree with KCG.

Step away from the keyboard and count to ten then replay :wink:

btw, I still luv you :D :D
Last edited by Catseye on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JaneEyre wrote: ...Her school was not even really properly aware of the number of A level she was doing ( precisely because we were having this kind of speech: ‘3 A levels are sufficient’) and it was none of the staff’s business so we kept quiet about it.
I don't get that - she studied them privately and took the exams outside school? How were they on her UCAS form if this is so; who wrote the reference?

With respect, these were the old modular A levels. Please don't extrapolate your daughter's situation to that facing students now. New courses, few papers to practise, teachers working outside their comfort zone ... very diferent.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote: I don't get that - she studied them privately and took the exams outside school? How were they on her UCAS form if this is so; who wrote the reference?
Yes, it was outside school for one and she did have to do the exam outside school so that the language centre could get the funding ( in fact, many students did not comply with the rule of keeping this centre as their exams centre so I think it has now stopped accepting students under 18).
I cannot remember about the UCAS form as it was many years ago; but I remember we were very discreet about that. In fact, if we had been more vocal, the school would have given her a prize during the Prize giving ceremony. But she did not study this extra A level for prizes. She did get something from the university during her first year though, I think it was named 'scholarship' but I cannot guarantee that and she is presently abroad and I will not disturb her with such petty questions.
Guest55 wrote: With respect, these were the old modular A levels. Please don't extrapolate your daughter's situation to that facing students now. New courses, few papers to practise, teachers working outside their comfort zone ... very diferent.
I agree with you on this point , Guest 55. And I appreciate your word of caution.
At the same time, I consider that nobody should put limits to anyone's desire to learn, hence my passion on this thread.

At a French Saturday school, I can observe a Russian girl ( 15 or 16 years old) who is not only ultra bright in Maths, English, in fact all academic subjects (and I have heard that she is excellent is chess and play at a high level an instrument), but she also has an EXCELLENT command of the French language and I have no idea how she has reach this level with two Russian parents who do not know French nor have lived in France. That is a mystery to me! But really her pieces of writing do baffle me as I have no idea how she can write so many metaphors and similes with such a near impeccable French! AND most importantly , she is a delightful girl! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JaneEyre wrote:Yes, it was outside school for one and she did have to do the exam outside school so that the language centre could get the funding ( in fact, many students did not comply with the rule of keeping this centre as their exams centre so I think it has now stopped accepting students under 18).
I cannot remember about the UCAS form as it was many years ago; but I remember we were very discreet about that.
That was very risky - the UCAS form must include every qualification taken or there is a mismatch with the UPN [unique pupil number]. Any omissions are usually treated as fraud.