6th Form choices

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Re: 6th Form choices

Post by KenR »

Twinkle wrote:Do you recall which FM modules Durham recommended? Does your son reckon that the FM AS made a difference?
Not sure Durham recommended any specific Further modules - in the end he did Further Pure 1, Decision Maths 1 & 2 I think. The latter 2 mainly because he liked the topics.(and thought he was going to get a better grade!) I think he found the Further AS useful for the Nat Sci degree at B/Ham - meant that modules such as Quantum Physics were still open for him.

One tip though - although my DS registered for a 4-year M.Sci degree course he actually decided to switch to a formal 1 year M.Sc (exam & Diss) course after he got his B.Sc. Hons. This was much more relevant for his chosen career direction (and also much better value for money - 12 month course @ £8300 vs 8 month M.Sci @ £9000) - his Nat Sci course tutor recommended the M.Sc route. That the nice thing about a Nat Sci degree course - leaves the options open.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The new Maths A level spec now includes both mechanics and statistics - sadly decision maths is 'relegated' to just an option in Further Maths. It's a great shame as Decision is very relevant to many careers.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:The new Maths A level spec now includes both mechanics and statistics - sadly decision maths is 'relegated' to just an option in Further Maths. It's a great shame as Decision is very relevant to many careers.
It is shame but CSAT is mostly pure maths.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/und ... e-test.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TBH I never did decision maths at school may moooooons ago.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The CSAT may change in future - it has to be Pure maths at the moment because that is the only topic everyone must study.

I didn't study any Stats at A level and only met Decision maths at university. Decision has become far more important since then.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:The CSAT may change in future - it has to be Pure maths at the moment because that is the only topic everyone must study.

I didn't study any Stats at A level and only met Decision maths at university. Decision has become far more important since then.
There is definitely some truth what you are saying.

The Informatics Olympiad is a very different beast to the Maths Olympiad

here is an example of the type of question-I doubt any pure mathematicians would have a clue

http://www.olympiad.org.uk/papers/2014/ ... actran.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now