A Levels 2017 - Support Thread

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: A Levels 2017 - Support Thread

Post by scary mum »

One in the 1980s? Not uncommon?? Oxford & Cambridge often made offers of things like 2Es in the 1980s which were effectively unconditional.

Am I supposed to be doing revision with my children?? I'm not, I'm there for support, advice & food though :lol: . I also won't be at university revising with them.
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

timothylewin wrote:Ploughing through A level chemistry this week with child; First term syllabus is such a distant memory, Kinetics, Equilibria, atomic structure. Its fun and tedious, both at different times. So many excellent resources on the web for most subjects, weeding out the chaff from the wheat to get to the real filling and not the bread.

In fact remembering my experience at skool many years ago, one chap did get an unconditional to study medicine at Oxford, that was in the 1980's and he was a good catch for the uni, did well in the entrance exam i believe, so its not that uncommon.
One example 40 years ago, does not deserve the "it's not that uncommon" comment. As we are fond of saying, the plural of anecdote is not data. Things have changed a lot. Back then there were no fees to speak of and Duran Duran were the old Take That....
Amber

Post by Amber »

I was given an offer of 2 Es in the 1980s to do a German degree because at the interview I got on really well with the tutor. Most people received the standard offer of I think 3 Bs (remember when we didn't all need A*s to go to college?). There was more discretion around, which on the one hand might be good if you think a particularly sparky or interesting candidate like I obviously was ( :lol: ) might choose to go somewhere else if you don't make a gesture; but on the other hand there is a danger of inconsistency and unfairness implicit in such an approach. Plus it isn't great for the work ethic of the offeree.

As for revising with my children - no. Just, no. I have three of them here revising for exams and apart from the fact that none of them would want or allow me near it, how would I physically do it? I am also working myself. Good food, a shoulder to cry on, moral support - those are my roles here.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Apart from French, where it's quite useful to have somebody who can chat with you in said language, DS is doing it himself and we are providing comfort, cereal and printer ink and ds2 is covering his chores.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:Apart from French, where it's quite useful to have somebody who can chat with you in said language...
We often chat in Franglais here. It is beaucoup de fun and I recommender it to tout le monde.

My kids have always refused to let me speak other languages to them as well, to be honest. All comes under the banner of 'so embarrassing'. :?
solimum

Post by solimum »

Amber wrote:We often chat in Franglais here. It is beaucoup de fun and I recommender it to tout le monde.
Deutschlish is the family chat of choice here - hence being up to speed on useful vocab such as "where are my keys?"
doodles

Post by doodles »

solimum wrote:
Amber wrote:We often chat in Franglais here. It is beaucoup de fun and I recommender it to tout le monde.
Deutschlish is the family chat of choice here - hence being up to speed on useful vocab such as "where are my keys?"
Where are my glasses would be more useful in this house :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:Where are my glasses would be more useful in this house
Revision tip: I find that a range of swear words in different languages covers keys, glasses, phones, purses etc without the need for item-specific vocabulary.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am 100% not a linguist but can swear fluently in many....!!
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

scary mum wrote:One in the 1980s? Not uncommon?? Oxford & Cambridge often made offers of things like 2Es in the 1980s which were effectively unconditional.

Am I supposed to be doing revision with my children?? I'm not, I'm there for support, advice & food though :lol: . I also won't be at university revising with them.

Good for you Scary mum. I support my child in the ways that help that child, nothing more, nothing less. There is no right or wrong way as far as I am concerned.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now