A Level Predictions

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

avidskier

A Level Predictions

Post by avidskier »

We had Yr 12 Higher education entrance parents evening this week. The school announced -much to DD's horror - that "preliminary" A Level predictions were going to be made in March with final predictions in July. Given that she has had a few early hiccups finding her feet in essay writing an some minor exams she is now supremely worrried about her first lot of predictions..
They didn't do this in the dinosaur age (back in my day).. does anyone else's school do this? Is it a call to pull your socks up prior to end of year exams?
It all seems awfully early to me?
kenyancowgirl

Re: A Level Predictions

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect the clue is in the word "preliminary"....not "final"....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All that matters are the predictions that are made for UCAS. If her predictions now are not what she wants then it is the signal to do something.

For interest, yes, even with modular A levels predictions were made in term 1 to be used as targets.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Did you DC have an ALISA assessment in the first few weeks of yr 12 ?

They can be be quite accurate but not infallible they are statistic analysis summed over many historic results although my DS predictions for the purposes of UCAS purposes are about on target as per ALISA predictions, although, I think they are little optimistic, I think he much closer to A*A*A A then predicted A*A*A*A -but I live to be proved wrong but main my fear is him dropping below AAB which I wouldn't put past him so misses out on his reserve offer :!: :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So you mean ALIS?

We've found their predictions rather inaccurate as they are based on average GCSE grades. Students that are strong in STEM and weaker in English [so lower GCSE grades for this] tend to get under-estimated targets.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:So you mean ALIS?

We've found their predictions rather inaccurate as they are based on average GCSE grades. Students that are strong in STEM and weaker in English [so lower GCSE grades for this] tend to get under-estimated targets.
Maybe that's why ALIS overestimated my DS A level predictions imho since his x2 English x1 FML was over inflated by his one to one tutoring provided by his expensive school-it ain't fair or right but they get found out at A level?

I have always believed those from academic private schools should be given higher offers.

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth so I have sympathy with similar kids even though my own DC are genuine middle class kids but it would be unfair to unjustly to penalise them for their parents choices unless contextual evidence can justify it.

I only do evidence I don't do anecdote.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now