6th Form Offers from Mill Hill County, Watford(B) & St Doms

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

basicbob

6th Form Offers from Mill Hill County, Watford(B) & St Doms

Post by basicbob »

Hi,

My son is in the final year of his GCSE's and has applied to Watford Boys, St Doms, Mill Hill County.

Does any one know typically what grades they offer for entrance?

I've heard even if you don't get the grades for the conditional offer you can still turn up with the grades and they may re-consider slightly lower grades, is this true? Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks in advance
Daogroupie

Re: 6th Form Offers from Mill Hill County, Watford(B) & St D

Post by Daogroupie »

I know that if you don't get offers but end up getting great grades you can phone round and hawk your wares!

HBS has a turn up with your grades day for anyone who has not applied but ends up doing well. If they have places in your chosen subjects they will consider you. This is a girls school so wrong gender for you!

DAO also will consider those who did not apply but get great grades and are interested.

I know of a student from a local school who did not apply but did really well and was able to take advantage of spaces from those who had not done as well as expected.

It is worth asking these three schools now if they have the same policy. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

basicbob wrote:Hi,

My son is in the final year of his GCSE's and has applied to Watford Boys, St Doms, Mill Hill County.

Does any one know typically what grades they offer for entrance?

I've heard even if you don't get the grades for the conditional offer you can still turn up with the grades and they may re-consider slightly lower grades, is this true? Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks in advance
If there are all state schools which have their own year 7 - year 11 students, then the grades required for external applicants must, by law, be the same as those required from internal students wishing to stay on. That information will be on the website of the school concerned. If your DS has conditional offers from these schools, then his current school must have confirmed that he is predicted to meet both the overall requirements and the specific grade requirements for each subject that he wants to study in year 12.

Where the difference falls between internal and external applicants is that the school is allowed to make offers to all its own year 11 who apply and who meet the minimum requirements. Where there is oversubscription for the remaining places by external applicants, the school can then decide whom to accept, based on optimal class size etc - but if the total external meeting minimum plus totalinternal meeting minimum requirements is at or under PAN and class sizes 'work', all externals should be offered a place conditional on their results.

It is always worth turning up on the day - more of the other candidates than expected may have done even worse than your DC :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It matters also exactly what A levels he wants to take.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now