Forced to miss AS maths lessons to sit mocks.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Forced to miss AS maths lessons to sit mocks.

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

I am currently at logger heads with DCs school because in the next two weeks he is being made to miss two Maths lessons in order to sit mock exams for A'level subjects that do not have ASs, despite the fact that he has three Maths ASs coming up in the next couple of weeks. Students taking different subjects will be able to attend these Maths lessons. DC is concerned because in a recent Maths paper they were given he lost vital marks on just one question. He is worried that something may be covered in those lessons that he is not aware of and that it will penalise him in the exam. Curious question but can schools force students to miss vital lessons whilst allowing others to attend those lessons thereby giving one set of students a distinct advantgae in an immenent external examination? I am really at a loss as to way a school what do this to be honest.
KB

Re: Forced to miss AS maths lessons to sit mocks.

Post by KB »

The school can pretty much do what they like in this respect. You could take it as far as school governors but that would probably take too long.

I would take a pragmatic approach and focus not on the unfairness but on him missing vital exam prep.

One option is for him to talk with the teacher (s) of the lessons he is missing and try to arrange a time when they will go through the same work with him ( and any others in the same position).
It's not perfect but in the short time you've got to sort this out it might be the best way forward for your DS.

If this doesn't work then I would phone the school and speak to the head of maths and see if they can arrange a similar solution.

If necessary you could escalate to senior management. Clearly they could rearrange when the maths group take the Mock exams but I imagine the admin load involved would make them reluctant. This may not be fair or right but you haven't really got time to fight the battle.

I would try to avoid being confrontational ( even though you may have cause to be angry ) and focus on finding a quick solution that makes sure your DS covers the work being missed. If you still feel strongly after the exams then that would be the time to take the matter to senior management and ask them to review their policy for the benefit of future cohorts.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm sure an easy solution would be to see the maths teacher separately. They should have some spare time with GCSE & A level students going off on study leave. I must admit my DS (year 13) has been surprised how many lessons have been cancelled this term, but the staff are available at other times if they need them.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hello Tolstoy :)

I am sorry to hear this but think that if you get your son to talk to the teacher he will be able to give him a list of topics covered and will probably also be willing to go through them with him. Teachers are usually brilliant at offering support to students in exam years so I think he should ask. As KB says, if that doesn't work then you can get involved by contacting Head of Department.

I would also say that it is arguable that two lessons will give a 'distinct advantage' to others - and remember it isn't a competition. I think if your son speaks to the teacher this is likely to be resolved in a very simple way. Good luck.

Crossed with scary - same message I think
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Mocks are mocks, just that. They are not real exams. Schools do them to help students identify weak areas. They certainly should not be preventing students attending crucial lessons for AS exams.

My dd missed a couple of her mocks last year but was able to sit them at another time under teacher supervision.

I would recommend you ask if he can sit the mocks that clash after school or during lunchtime.

All that is required is a teacher to supervise him while he does it.

Are there other students who also have this problem?

If so it would be an idea to contact their parents and make a combined request to be able to sit the mock at a separate time in order to avoid missing the important lessons.

The school is running mocks to help students improve their grades. They are certainly not meant to prevent students from learning key areas for the real exam. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It sounds like someone did not think when they planned these school exams. It would have been sensible to have them towards the end of June when all the external 'real' exams were over.

If the school exams can't be rescheduled then go and see the Head of Maths. It might also be worth noting that the Head is a mathematician and might want to intervene here as well!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

+1 to that. Daughter's school is doing the same, mocks two weeks before AS-level. Only one AS fortunately and she'll have half term in between but still it beggars belief that the school would distract from an external exam by running internal mocks immediately before. Thoughtless and stupid.
KB

Post by KB »

Absolutely agree that it's incredibly unhelpful of the school but depending on how much time there is it might be more use to the DC to take a low key approach and get the teacher to go over the missed work at another time than get embroiled in a fight to get the mocks moved.
The later is pretty clearly what should be done but sometimes it's better not to add to an already stressful situation if there is a slightly less satisfactory but still adequate 'softly' approach.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thank you guys. Many of you have echoed my thoughts. It has been good to read that I wasn't being unreasonable in my insistance that DC didn't miss Maths lessons at this crucial stage. The maths teachers already do booster sessions and are currently using these lessons for practise papers. I have been told that they fully supported my stance but their hand were tied. The problem has now been resolved for DC.

Hopefully in future they will think more carefully about timings but as the teachers had already raised the issue and been ignored I guess not :( I did ask why they couldn't have them later G55 as it seems far more sensible to do that but was told organisational issues :? As it is I know his mock and other AS sitters mock results will be skewed by rightly focussing on their ASs and therefore not a true reflexion of what they could achieve.