Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: medicine at uni - late
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am 

Hi all - please no sighs - i know its all a bit late and if anyone can point me to a detailed existing thread then thanks. I did a search for medicine but not specific

DC has decided quite late to do medicine; - it's life and its come to him at just turned 17! - this is not late in life but for our UCAS system!

DC has Maths/FM Chem and Physics (AAAAs at AS level and internals) but no Biology so limited in choice of med. Sat BMAT. Taking UKMAT. Also just short WE in hosipital/GP surgery.

Also on FSM - equivalent 6th form

Any advice - besides its all a bit late.? Learned folk such at Catseye, Guest 55 + KYCG to name but a few!
Thanks - just about to start searching

I

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 am 

Possibly find a regular part-time job/voluntary role at a local care home ? Less glamorous than cutting-edge surgery but good experience of people skills and of the multiple conditions/variety of medication.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 am 

solimum wrote:
Possibly find a regular part-time job/voluntary role at a local care home ? Less glamorous than cutting-edge surgery but good experience of people skills and of the multiple conditions/variety of medication.

I second this. It gives excellent experience in communicating with people with a variety of needs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 pm 

Just dashing in - he needs very quickly to get some "Commitment to Caring" work experience - this is, as pointed out above, not surgery etc but hands on working in care - old people's home (on a regular basis), working with children with special needs etc. Having Chemistry is probably his saving grace - although many want Biology too, Chem is compulsory. He also needs work experience with a GP/Hospital etc as that helps him with his UCAS form/interviews to explain why he has decided he is a good fit for Medicine. You do need to have a serious discussion with him about back up plans though - some very very good candidates get straight rejections from all their unis, sometimes without even being interviewed, so he has to be prepared for that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 pm 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Just dashing in - he needs very quickly to get some "Commitment to Caring" work experience - this is, as pointed out above, not surgery etc but hands on working in care - old people's home (on a regular basis), working with children with special needs etc. Having Chemistry is probably his saving grace - although many want Biology too, Chem is compulsory. He also needs work experience with a GP/Hospital etc as that helps him with his UCAS form/interviews to explain why he has decided he is a good fit for Medicine. You do need to have a serious discussion with him about back up plans though - some very very good candidates get straight rejections from all their unis, sometimes without even being interviewed, so he has to be prepared for that.

My current junior doctor was in that position. He had no offers from any of his universities which I think caused a lot of stress at the time. He got excellent A levels and re-applied the following year. He had a choice of universities and now thinks he was glad of the year off which enabled him to work and get a bit more life experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm 

You (he) have probably already been here, but in case not

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/our-work/publications

TSR also has helpful advice (ignore the silly bits in amongst it :lol: ).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:56 pm 

loobylou wrote:

My current junior doctor was in that position. He had no offers from any of his universities which I think caused a lot of stress at the time. He got excellent A levels and re-applied the following year. He had a choice of universities and now thinks he was glad of the year off which enabled him to work and get a bit more life experience.

I would second that - have known of many who did much better applying after A levels with better UKCAT scores and genuinely useful work experience

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 pm 

Read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

I would agree with above posters that a gap year may be needed or hope that the additional places fall right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 am 

I would also endorse the GAP year route.
If I were assessing applications I'd be wary of such a late decision ( which will be obvious ).
By postponing a year not only can DC strengthen application but can also test out this recent decision, which is a really big step.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 am 

KB wrote:
I would also endorse the GAP year route.
If I were assessing applications I'd be wary of such a late decision ( which will be obvious ).
By postponing a year not only can DC strengthen application but can also test out this recent decision, which is a really big step.
+1
DD has worked as a volunteer in a home for disabled adults for 6 years now. She started when she too was considering Medicine, but carried on long after deciding against that route as she enjoys it and has made lots of friends there. The volunteer coordinator told her that most prospective Medical students spend about a month there and then expect a decent reference, which he won't give as they haven't demonstrated any kind of commitment, just a desire to get boxes ticked. Your son is in a potentially worse position and I think that future medical schools would look more favourably on someone who has rolled their sleeves up for a year and got on with some hardcore volunteering - perhaps in a care home or similar - than if he dashed round now trying to mop up bits of experience here and there. It would also help to ensure that he is really committed and wants to pursue Medicine - for DD a week spent with a GP and another with a District Nurse made her realise that it would not be right for her.