Do you need Further Maths or Economic A level do Economics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad?

Re: Do you need Further Maths or Economic A level do Economi

Post by mad? »

All of the above! FM (strongly) preferred by many 'good' courses. Economics less of an issue but a good idea to establish level of interest? Anecdote not being data but...DD did both, FM required for some of her offers, 'preferred' for others. 2.5 years into an Economics degree of which she spent Y1 helping those who had not done FM, as it was hard on them, but if talented mathematicians they got there. This on a less mathsy course than many.
mad?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Thanks all.

I know economics is next to useless at A level but her heart is not into doing A level FM and I know if your heart is not in it then you will do not well at it.#

Arguably the hardest A level one can do.

Boys are so much easier they tend to be focused on a career path from an early stage, girls are so much more complicated.

Good for the girls :D
copella

Post by copella »

I know it is off subject but I am afraid I have to disappoint you catseye as many of the boys I know (mine included) have no idea what they want to do. So not at all focussed on career pathways.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I have to disagree too catseye, Ds2 has absolutely no idea what he wants to do and this is making choosing A levels challenging to say the least :D On the other hand ds1 knew exactly what he wanted to do so was comparatively easy to "guide".
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

+3 - totally clueless boy child here. DD at least has a vague plan (and 2 extra years to decide) ...

JD
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I suspect this is not something that can be attributed to gender.
Dd knows what she would like to study at uni but no idea of a career plan.
Ds has a fairly strong idea of a career plan and knows which uni he wants to attend - but didn't know what he wants to study.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye wrote:Thanks all.

I know economics is next to useless at A level but her heart is not into doing A level FM and I know if your heart is not in it then you will do not well at it.
Just do Maths + two others then -
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:
Catseye wrote:Thanks all.

I know economics is next to useless at A level but her heart is not into doing A level FM and I know if your heart is not in it then you will do not well at it.
Just do Maths + two others then -
I think she will do very well with the pure maths element of FM but the mechanics (applied in my day ) she will struggle with at this level.

Her number theory,algebra, geometry/trig is excellent but finds it hard to 'visualise' forces, tensions.........etc in mechanics .

She is a defo for maths and should be able to cope with basic newtonian mechanics.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now