English Literature

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: English Literature

Post by JaneEyre »

Any A level student out there studying Othello for his/her English lit. A level?

Othello is played at the Globe Theatre in London from the 20th of July till the 13th of October 2018
http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/whats- ... m=referral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks JaneEyre. My dd will be starting A level Lit in September and Othello is one of her set texts. looks like I had better book some tickets. I am making her read all her y12 texts over the summer anyway :lol:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What board do they do? I am very underwhelmed by the choices of some of the boards. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

I'm not even sure - I think it's AQA spec B. Quite good books anyhow, including the ultra modern poems of the Decade which I really like. I'm not a big fan of Keats though (apart from Eve of St Agnes).
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: Othello is played at the Globe Theatre in London from the 20th of July till the 13th of October 2018

Othello review – Mark Rylance and André Holland get to heart of the play

Rylance is a fascinating and nihilistic Iago and André Holland exudes majestic dignity as Othello in Clare van Kampen’s lively and unsettling production

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/ ... obe-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote:Any A level student out there studying Othello for his/her English lit. A level?

Othello is played at the Globe Theatre in London from the 20th of July till the 13th of October 2018
http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/whats- ... m=referral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am realising that the Globe has also an exhibition about Othello, Shakespeare & Race.
It shows the influence that the multicultural world of 17th-century Venice has on the current production in the Globe Theatre and director Claire van Kampen’s approach to the play.
Amongst other things, they explore early-modern conceptions of race, the 1565 Italian source for the Othello story, its early performance history, beginning with Richard Burbage in the title role, and the ground-breaking performances by Ira Aldridge and Paul Robeson in the 19th and 20th centuries.

If I can, I will need to organise a trip to London with my DS as these exhibitions at the Globe theatre are great!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD is doing Othello too. Wish we’d got tickets sooner. The weather is dire right now. Our neighbours were raving about it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

This is right up dd2's street. We will definitely go to the exhibition and try for tickets for the production. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

Yes the exhibition sounds interesting. I cannot abide Mark Rylance though so I'm going to give Othello perf a miss. :lol:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

piggys wrote:Yes the exhibition sounds interesting. I cannot abide Mark Rylance though so I'm going to give Othello perf a miss. :lol:
I watched him in Wolf Hall. So frustrating, all he seemed to do was look blankly into the distance, softly say a few words and look blankly into the distance again. I found it infuriating :lol: