Extra cash for Maths

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Miltonkeynes1

Extra cash for Maths

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Hi
The Chancellor has promised an extra £600 per 'new pupil' who studies Maths at A'Level. Does this mean anyone starting Maths from next year or any pupil that has joined the school from outside?
Sorry it's just not clear.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Extra cash for Maths

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The report I read spoke of "additional" pupils...my interpretation is that they will look at how many pupils the school/FE College usually enters and work from there. You do understand that this money goes to the institution, not the pupil, don't you? The idea being I assume that the instituition can employ more/better maths staff and improve their departments to support the additional pupils.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Yes - it is per additional pupil over that school’s normal entry. No reward for schools who have always had very high numbers doing Maths A :(
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I agree with everything said so far.I think it will encourage the opening of new maths schools.You might see more of these.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/policy/case-s ... s-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not impressed - I can see pressure being applied on students to take Maths who have no hope of a good grade. It might encourage Core Mahs to be offered but it would need a reasonable cohort to cover the teaching costs. It might also encourage more schools to offer F Maths through FMSP online tuition as the money will cover much of the cost.
It won't help schools struggling to recruit teachers ...
piggys

Post by piggys »

I am not impressed either. Why is maths deemed somehow more valuable than other subjects? what about languages, for example?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now