Summer jobs post A Levels?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
avidskier

Summer jobs post A Levels?

Post by avidskier »

Does anyone have any good ideas for summer jobs my DD17 could apply for. She can’t do summer camp style roles as most tend to want her to be a year in to uni it would appear.
Oddly enough she did go for an interview today for a 3 month contract to work at Buckingham Palace. Apparently she was by far the youngest and with the least amount of experience, so she doesn’t have high hopes. It was great fun though from what I gather.
Thanks in advance for your help!
loobylou

Re: Summer jobs post A Levels?

Post by loobylou »

Care worker roles at care homes (elderly care or adults with disabilities)? They often have additional needs over the summer when staff are away.
We employ 6th formers at our GP surgery when we can't get medical students. (For admin role such as note summarising / adding notes to the computer etc).
I have a friend who owns a shop and she takes staff from 16.
I would drop a letter into anywhere she's prepared to consider working and see what comes of it. Once I had a summer job at 16 or 17, I stayed at the same job every holiday for years, all through uni. I was from a small village with very few jobs so getting the job at that age (by sending about 50 letters!) was brilliant..
marigold

Post by marigold »

Do you live near a hospital?
This summer the DGH where I work had a huge, and I mean huge , number of teenagers working on the staff bank in admin roles. A lot were students but there were also quite a few year12/ 13s .
They were all excellent and were very sorely missed when they all went back to school and university. I suspect there are piles and piles of admin work waiting in an intray somewhere for their return next summer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I worked in an office for a couple of summers covering holidays [general filing, sorting post], a large department store for a couple of summers [customer assistant, cashier, etc] and finally on a factory assembly line in a Quality Control 'slot'. All very different and certainly gave me some useful cash for uni/PGCE.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Local pubs, restaurants or hotels? Supermarkets? That's what mine have done, and most others that I have known.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is she a good swimmer? DD did the National Pool Lifeguard qualification as soon as she was 16 and currently (year 12) works a full shift at a local pool each Saturday. She intends to use the qualification as a source of income once she goes to university

The course as run locally takes a week full-time (the leisure centre we use offers it several times a year in school holidays) and costs about £250, but we felt that it was a good skill to have anyway.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

A job in Waitrose would be a bit boring but they pay reasonably well and she could transfer to another store when she goes to Uni and they have great training programmes.
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Well DD has organised a job for herself.. and there was me trying to think of things she could do..
She has just been offered the role as a summer visitor warden at Buckingham Palace. Certainly beats my first job!
Thank you all for your suggestions however!
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

:lol:
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Congrats on your DD’s job at Buck House! I was thinking if that hadn’t worked out:
If she likes drama then being a ‘cast member’ at Disney or closer to home places like Hampton Court.
The theme parks like Chessington often have summer jobs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now