How to practise for new Maths Course for AS Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
meka

Re: How to practise for new Maths Course for AS Level

Post by meka »

Guest55 wrote:
meka wrote:Thanks for your quick response. Yes his board is Pearson Edexcel. Regarding the past papers, my son says that there are different modules then this year's new course. I need your help, pls guide me what can he practise ?
Yes the modules donlt exist but much of the material is the same - here is the specification:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/q ... -2017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Links also to sample materials are here.

I agree this is the first year of the new Maths but his teachers should be pointing him to the old resources that are still useful.
Thank you very much for the above mentioned link as this will definitely be useful to him as he always complains that there is nothing to practise questions within an exam time limit.

Regarding the past papers, he always says that there are few modules which have been removed and some have been added new or there is a shuffle of modules between Year12 and Year13 so he always mentions that out of each separate module there will be few questions, which are out of the curriculum of Year12 now, so he can't practise his time properly and moreover he'll have to find out the relevant questions.

As you are highly experienced in this field so if you can recommend more weblinks or books or any past papers to practise for Year12 maths exams for Edexcel Board, it will be highly appreciated.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He can use many of the old Pure modules C1 and C2 - just need to be aware of topics. Have his teachers not cross referenced old and new for their students? The modules S1 and M1 would also help with the applied parts.

He sounds as if he is trying to put off work to me!

Try here: http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resources/s ... &term=Main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We are having this issue for a different subject (music and A2 level so all new this year and v important that she get a top grade or bye-bye Uni offers). They have just had their mocks graded, used the little bit of guidance material provided by the exam board - it does feel a bit unsettling. The teachers decided not to give ABC grades but percentages. Dd1 did well compared to her very small class but no one knows what that means for any of their actual final grades! So it’s a matter of keep calm and carry on,

She still works hard and as best she can on the material they have been taught and they will be finding any material that is relevant to the new syllabus. Surely maths has not been reinvented to the point that nothing can be done to prepare.

At least this is an opportunity to learn that flexible general knowledge of the subject, resilience and dealing well with uncertainty is also very valuable and indeed all the candidates are in the same boat.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now