Chemistry or Business Studies for A Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Chemistry or Business Studies for A Level

Post by ToadMum »

Random pick via WhatUni - University of Kent BSc Sports Science:

A Level ABB including B in one of either Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Applied Science, Statistics or Physical Education (Sport)

Sports Science

Top 5 A-levels taken by students who study this subject at uni

Physical Education

35%

Biology

27%

Business Studies

13%

Psychology

12%

Mathematics

12%

Which would seem to indicate that quite a lot of people took a random collection of other A levels (Chemistry, English Lit and Latin, perhaps?), if one assumes that the
'top 5' aren't mutually exclusive.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Or Geography and French

Doesn't every PE teacher that you know seem to double up with geography - my DS seems to be treading a well worn path :)
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lots of PE teachers end up teaching Maths ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Lots of PE teachers end up teaching Maths ...
I actually know one of those :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
copella

Post by copella »

My DS is in his 2nd yr of a sports science degree at Oxford Brooke's. when he was looking either PE or Biology were needed to apply. As your DS is doing PE I would not think Biology would be needed. However as you probably know the A levels needed often change. He should if poss chose the A level he enjoys most. My youngest started of with 4 geog, history, maths and chemistry. We all thought he would drop chemistry but to our shock it is history which he has chosen to drop. A levels are very different to GCSEs and what may have been fun then can change with more in depth studying.
KB

Post by KB »

It's worth reconsidering the choice of Further Maths. If teaching Maths as a second subject is actually a possibility then it's obviously helpful but otherwise if he is unsure and wants to keep options open then it may be that by dropping FM he can broaden his options.

+1 for looking at post A level requirements for a range of things he might be interested in doing.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Agree to do research on what is needed, but can I add another vote for doing a subject he enjoys the most? Life is a long old slog and A levels are so narrowing already. Plus he will likely get a better grade with something he enjoys and resent it less when he has some “light relief” from studying the career requisites day and night.
ekeeda1234

Post by ekeeda1234 »

FunkyMonkey wrote:My son is doing 4 A levels next academic year. Maths, Further Maths, P.E. are certain.

He is favouring Business Studies as he says it will help him in a sports career in future and even though he should get an A* for chemistry GCSE, he said he is not interested in a science career or degree and not that interested in Engineering Chemistry 1.

So question really is what are pros and cons of both Chemistry and Business A Levels.

P.s. he not done business studies GCSE.
Chemistry is what makes us up - without any chemicals, we would not physically be here today.It is unlikely your specific knowledge will be of relevance to the employer, though this depends on what your PhD is. However, you may be able to sell your more general skills (e.g. in analysis) as applying to the job.