Plus points for taking English A-Level?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Plus points for taking English A-Level?

Post by Amber »

My son decided on GCSE results day to do A level English. It surprised me but he is enjoying it. I suggest that you don't try to advise your daughter, especially as she is only in Y10. Things will become clear over the next couple of years, and as you say this:
silverysea wrote:I simply want her to do subjects she enjoys and will get a good grade
then you must trust her to decide those things for herself. She will be 16 by the time A level courses start, and have a much better idea (than you; and than she does now) of which way to go. :D.English is a perfectly good and robust choice, as are many others.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks all for all the wise words, I’ve been able to read but not post due to technical problems.

Indeed I wouldn’t dare to advise her what to take or not take, it’s only so I can have a discussion with her if she wants. Sometimes she likes to bounce ideas, even just to scoff at my mumsy ignorance, and I can see she is such a completely different creature to dd1, who has also been very demanding of my headspace! It’s useful to know how late it can be left, and dd1 who is admittedly at a different school said some people even changed their subjects well after the start of the first term of year 12!

I tend to go for looking at all the angles myself, maybe to excess, but I am a scientist. Also I can see what maybe she cannot, that she will enjoy and do well in an English subject and is already set on taking maths in any case, which she loathes, as it will open doors.

I’ve met an retired architect recently and though his description of his work, which he still does, sounds very like a good fit for her-seems like many subjects are fine for that area.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are lots of A levels that "open doors" There is no requirement to take A level Maths if she loathes it. I would not want to employ anyone who took an A level subject they did not like just because it looks good.

Students should do subjects they are passionate about not ones that make them look good. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:There are lots of A levels that "open doors" There is no requirement to take A level Maths if she loathes it. I would not want to employ anyone who took an A level subject they did not like just because it looks good.

Students should do subjects they are passionate about not ones that make them look good. DG
Absolutely

With regard to Architecture, DS2 also intends to apply for this and so I have spent some time looking at the websites of the various universities whose courses lead to Part I exemption. And yes, few actually state that any particular subject is a requirement, although some do state that they require or prefer Maths or an art / design subject at A level.

On the whole, it would appear to be the perfect degree for someone with good drawing skills who wants to do 'mixed' A levels (assuming that s/he is actually interested in becoming an architect, that is :) ). Different schools of architecture have different routes to the same qualification - e.g. Bath being more on the Engineering side, UAL and The Bartlett being more 'arty'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I totally concur that studying subjects you enjoy is preferable and for some like myself, is essential. Dd2 is a very driven little soxandxso and insists on doing everything her own way, which is usually the hard way! Sometimes I can get a little word in and that seems to become her own idea after a while, to the point where I am told, see, Mum, you really don’t know anything, of COURSe it is better to do x, y and z. I only think, without verbalising , told you so. :lol:

I like that the term architecture seems to cover quite a range of career activities as well as entrance requirements, but a bit dismayed that RIBA says it takes 5 years plus 2 more trying to get experience. I though vet school was long but that is even worse. Plus architecture is a bit rockstar isn’t it? Lots of potential not to get a toe on the ladder after all the training.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

[quote][Students should do subjects they are passionate about not ones that make them look good. DG/quote]

Could not agree more. My DS chose A level subjects heavily influenced by teachers and regrets taking some of them. He did Philosophy, History, Biology and Chemistry. Despite getting good grades at GCSE he really struggled with the sciences at A level as they were not his passion and his grades reflect that he did not enjoy revising these subjects. He is now studying a masters in History at Manchester1824, this subject was always his passion and because of that he has never found his workload too taxing as he thrives on studying it.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Tinkers wrote:Things can change a lot between year 10 and 11.
DD was asked during parents evening in year 10 whether she was considering Eng Lit for A level and said no. There was no way she was thinking about it. We were gobsmacked the teacher even asked tbh. At that point she knew she wanted to do maths and chemistry, probably german and something else.

A year later, german has gone out of the window and she has decided that since she really enjoys English lit at school and reading in general, actually she wants to do it. And her English teacher is delighted.
Tinkers, I wonder if your DD is my DD. Ditto re teacher asking about Eng lit and DD saying no ... But now going through the contents of various subjects reconsidering English lit.

Again, my worry is both OH and I come from STEM background so she will be entirely on her own. Her reasoning, she is doing three subjects that are maths heavy - FM, maths and Physics, so a language/essay type subject will balance it.

For some reason, balance is very important for DD. She is always seeking for it in whatever she does. Don't know why? For GCSEs she changed one of her subjects to 'Art and Design' (textiles) because she wanted an art type subject to balance the sciences and languages. Not sure, if she is silently regretting her choice. She will have to sit a written exam for textiles. Don't have the levels yet but the mocks experience wasn't too good.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We really can’t help with English. We are both semi literate engineers. I have no idea how she does it, but she is her own person and not a copy of her parents, we’ve always encouraged her to forge her own path.

She never needs help with A level maths, the one subject I could help with.

DD did GCSE textiles (not the new art and design one) and had an exam.

Nothing wrong with a balance, as long as she likes the subjects.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1
Some universities would even prefer some diversity.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Tinkers wrote:We really can’t help with English. We are both semi literate engineers. I have no idea how she does it, but she is her own person and not a copy of her parents, we’ve always encouraged her to forge her own path.
Totally agree. The DCs are not copies of there parents.
She never needs help with A level maths, the one subject I could help with.

DD did GCSE textiles (not the new art and design one) and had an exam.

How is A level English in comparison to GCSE English?