Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Learner Driver insurance
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 pm 

We were told about this:

https://www.veygo.com/

Just taken DD out for 2 hours for £5.10. A good way to get a bit of extra practice in between lessons without a major outlay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:34 pm 

We used them - it started off as Admiral Learner insurance, then Admiral obviously contracted with them - they are very good as you can renew for however many days you need - DS1 failed his first test so we just bolted on another two weeks until his next one. We have actually moved over to Admiral multicar insurance now he has passed - got insurance for three cars for just over £700 for the year...!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 pm 

We used Provisional Marmalade - you can do one month at a time and it worked out cheaper than you quote but it was a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 am 

Veygo is the same principal as Marmalade but was actually significantly cheaper - you can choose the exact number of days or months you want - I think we started with 3 months from when he first turned 17 and then topped up accordingly. Marmalade were the first of their kind, I think, when they came on the market - the bolt on learner policy that doesn't affect your policy on the car - but, as with most things, other insurance companies realised and have whisked out their own!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am 

The quote in the first post is far more than we were paying for a week!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm 

I suspect it depends where you live. For us, for a 30 day quote for a learner driver, veygo is about £57 and Marmalade is £77, so quite a lot more expensive.

We can't insure one car for myself and my 20 year old son (driving for 2 years) for £700, let alone 3, but we are in London, so I suspect that makes quite a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 pm 

It is certainly postcode based (where is more likely to have more accidents or thefts) but also, not unsurprisingly, the longer you insure with them the cheaper it is - it certainly worked out cheaper per day to insure for the 30 day period than for a one week period (on a per day basis) and certainly Blitz, I would look at doing a 30 day one if I were you - then you can pop out whenver you have the chance and it will be much cheaper than for the 2 hours! It is great they have this sort of thing though! We had a similar experience of Marmalade - (who I started looking at because I knew Guest had used them in the past) - I think they have just been overtaken by other companies who realise it's good business sense to bolt learners on...always the way in insurance - it pays to shop around!