Learner Driver insurance

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blitz

Learner Driver insurance

Post by Blitz »

We were told about this:

https://www.veygo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just taken DD out for 2 hours for £5.10. A good way to get a bit of extra practice in between lessons without a major outlay.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Learner Driver insurance

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We used them - it started off as Admiral Learner insurance, then Admiral obviously contracted with them - they are very good as you can renew for however many days you need - DS1 failed his first test so we just bolted on another two weeks until his next one. We have actually moved over to Admiral multicar insurance now he has passed - got insurance for three cars for just over £700 for the year...!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We used Provisional Marmalade - you can do one month at a time and it worked out cheaper than you quote but it was a few years ago.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Veygo is the same principal as Marmalade but was actually significantly cheaper - you can choose the exact number of days or months you want - I think we started with 3 months from when he first turned 17 and then topped up accordingly. Marmalade were the first of their kind, I think, when they came on the market - the bolt on learner policy that doesn't affect your policy on the car - but, as with most things, other insurance companies realised and have whisked out their own!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The quote in the first post is far more than we were paying for a week!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I suspect it depends where you live. For us, for a 30 day quote for a learner driver, veygo is about £57 and Marmalade is £77, so quite a lot more expensive.

We can't insure one car for myself and my 20 year old son (driving for 2 years) for £700, let alone 3, but we are in London, so I suspect that makes quite a difference.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is certainly postcode based (where is more likely to have more accidents or thefts) but also, not unsurprisingly, the longer you insure with them the cheaper it is - it certainly worked out cheaper per day to insure for the 30 day period than for a one week period (on a per day basis) and certainly Blitz, I would look at doing a 30 day one if I were you - then you can pop out whenver you have the chance and it will be much cheaper than for the 2 hours! It is great they have this sort of thing though! We had a similar experience of Marmalade - (who I started looking at because I knew Guest had used them in the past) - I think they have just been overtaken by other companies who realise it's good business sense to bolt learners on...always the way in insurance - it pays to shop around!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We have a DD learning at the moment. As both our cars are auto and far too powerful we bought her a car to use for practice while learning (and to keep afterwards obviously).
One thing that caught me out is that most of the learner policies - Marmalade, veygo, etc - won't provide the cover if the car is registered in the learner's name. We have it covered under our multicar policy for us to drive but the fact that it is actually hers was a complete No for the usual providers.
RAC cover (£155 for 3 months) didn't mind who owned the car.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our "learner" car is still registered to me not our now driving son. That way I can legitimately use it with DS2 when the time comes. Marmalade also has a minimum age for the car -from memory it has to be younger than 9 or 7 years old, which I know has caught some friends out.

The main thing to remember is that the learner insurance is relatively cheap - in fact the first year can be if you then do a multicar insurance for the first time (but not if you already have multicar set up) - however, some of the quotes we got for the second year were hysterical! Friends who already had a multicar so couldn't access the "cheaper" multicar deals when their children first passed, found the first year astronomical but you just have to bite the bullet.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

yes - not looking forward to the first real insurance cost. On the other hand I am looking forward to not being Mom's taxi any more - I have spent far too many hours in music centre car parks huddled over my kindle, or driving twice a day to drop and pickup at work experience locations. On balance I am happy to pay the insurance :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now