advice re personal statement

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: advice re personal statement

Post by Guest55 »

I'll just add a different view to that above - doing joint Maths and .... where I did my single honours degree gave an easy path. Students only did a third of the Maths I did - just the pure - and less than half of the other subject.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD chose to add a language to her unrelated single honours degree in the first month of university. This was unforeseen (by us) and had no prerequisites. At the end of her second year she is loving it, has benefited enormously from a second set of colleagues (and yes, she is the only one doing this particular combination) and there do not seem to be any negatives at all. She is lucky that at her university this was really easy to do, though I gather many others also offer similar. Several of her friends saw what she was doing and took a language for their second year which they intend to continue and which will therefore be reflected on their degree certificates.
KB

Post by KB »

Just adding to the advice to research very carefully.
Look at the 'modules' and how much work is involved.
I have limited experience but those I know who have done similar have ended up with significantly more work.

Do also think about post graduation plans. Undergraduate study often only scratches the surface of a subject even if you spend 3 years studying it full time. There are advantages to broader study but ( as a general point) check you meet requirements for any professional registration or post-grad study.

There's also the personal satisfaction level of simply not being able to study either subject to the level you would wish once you 'get into it'.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now