11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Re: Having a job during A levels

Post by mitasol »

So, I’m just offering another opinion.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mine is from thousands and helping to pick up the pieces. Going off track with linear A levels is a real issue.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:Mine is from thousands and helping to pick up the pieces. .
Perhaps things have changed over recent years.

Maybe that schools finish at different times in different parts of the country - there is often some staggering of times to smooth out traffic locally
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We are back to linear A levels again ... been there, done it, got the T-shirt. I still work with students ...
doodles

Post by doodles »

Guest55 wrote:We are back to linear A levels again ... been there, done it, got the T-shirt. I still work with students ...
And I'm sure that there are others who have similar experience and different opinions.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but how many students have they dealt with in how many schools? Have they held academic and pastoral roles in schools?
Several people have already posted there are limits in their children's schools.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Other people's experiences are just as relevant to this thread as yours even if based on a much smaller sample.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If schools are putting restrictions in place they do not do this lightly. A levels are hard and top grades are needed - even more so than when linear A levels were 'normal'. We have not yet reached the first cohort of students sitting all linear A levels ...

I would urge parents to listen to the school not their child.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:We have not yet reached the first cohort of students sitting all linear A levels ...
We all (shouting in bold for effect) took linear A levels.

In the 6th form my weekly schedule was:

Monday - concert/disco at local civic hall, out 7 - 11
Tuesday - voluntary work 7 - 10
Wednesday - youth group 8 - 10.30
Thursday - at home
Friday - youth club 7 - 11
Saturday - voluntary work 2 - 6, out with friends 8 - 11
Sunday - paid work 9 - 1

I kept up that entire schedule throughout the two years of 6th form, even during the exams.

Somewhere along the way I also did DofE Silver in the lower sixth.

I completed 99% of my homework on time and got the grades I needed, albeit they weren't stellar.

I find the restrictive attitudes of schools these days utterly disgraceful and completely self-serving. If a student can manage their time, let them do what they want to do and live their life to the full. If they can't, that is when schools or parents should step in. Let them find their level first.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Guest55 wrote:We have not yet reached the first cohort of students sitting all linear A levels ...
We all (shouting in bold for effect) took linear A levels.

In the 6th form my weekly schedule was:

Monday - concert/disco at local civic hall, out 7 - 11
Tuesday - voluntary work 7 - 10
Wednesday - youth group 8 - 10.30
Thursday - at home
Friday - youth club 7 - 11
Saturday - voluntary work 2 - 6, out with friends 8 - 11
Sunday - paid work 9 - 1

I kept up that entire schedule throughout the two years of 6th form, even during the exams.

Somewhere along the way I also did DofE Silver in the lower sixth.

I completed 99% of my homework on time and got the grades I needed, albeit they weren't stellar.

I find the restrictive attitudes of schools these days utterly disgraceful and completely self-serving. If a student can manage their time, let them do what they want to do and live their life to the full. If they can't, that is when schools or parents should step in. Let them find their level first.
I did similar, with similar results but have to admit my linear A levels in the eighties (similar subjects to DD) were a helluva lot easier than the stuff she's doing. And less to learn I seem to remember.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now