Having a job during A levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Having a job during A levels

Post by anotherdad »

My daughter worked a couple of hours one evening every other week and volunteered for a couple of hours after school one day a week. Both were good experiences related to her intended field of university study so have helped her determine it as the right course and proved to be interesting interview discussions at universities. We do live very near her school which makes travel easy. A lot of grammar school children live a long way from school which limits their opportunities for after-school experiences and jobs.
Reading Mum

Re: Having a job during A levels

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD has recently been able to get voluntary work which relates to her chosen future - no one would take her till 16 and then GCSEs hit. I think this is a much better use of her time than the sort of thing I did back in the day as a Saturday job. It requires hard work and commitment to attend with an early start on a Sunday. Thankfully I am able to provide pocket money so that she can have a social life too (something not available in my youth) - I don't think she will have enough free time to squeeze in a job too so she can save that for holidays if she can find anything then.