Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Core Maths.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 pm 

Calling G55 and others;

My DD wants to do A level , Biology , Geography and RS(theology) and the school AGGS-Trafford has suggested A level Core Maths .....what's that all about?

BTW- she got an 8 at gcse maths.

Post subject: Re: Core Maths.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:38 pm 

It's a new qualification aimed at those not doing A level Maths - the school get money for additional candidates so are 'pushing' this new qualification.

https://feweek.co.uk/2017/11/27/what-is ... important/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 am 

At least one school near here state that anyone doing an A level with some mathematical content (sciences, geography, psychology) have to take core maths if they aren't taking maths A level. I didn't know there was funding attached!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 am 

Guest55 wrote:
It's a new qualification aimed at those not doing A level Maths - the school get money for additional candidates so are 'pushing' this new qualification.

https://feweek.co.uk/2017/11/27/what-is ... important/

As an independent witness, so to speak, Guest55, is it worth doing if you are a none Maths A level candidate?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 am 

KCG - I'm not convinced that it is if you have a good GCSE maths grade. It depends on workload and the 'other stuff' students are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am 

Thanks - that is very useful!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:54 am 

This is the Edexcel spec if anyone is interested: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/q ... ntext.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:06 pm 

She is adamant that she does not want to do A level Maths or take it as a forth subject , she has lost all confidence because she got 9s (although a 7 in her MFL) in all her other subjects despite Maths being her strongest subject in year 7&8 but somewhere along the way lost interest and ability from her high starting point .....I think she was ignored and not encouraged to explore the joys of maths .....personally , I'm surprised she got an 8 ....the school let her down, maths should not be boring but more puzzle based and engaging.

Such a shame , anyway, is 'Core Maths' worth doing and does it count towards UCCAS points given the full A levels she wants to do? She wants to do anthropology at Oxford or Durham, is she doing right subjects?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:55 pm 

Personally I wouldn't bother - why are they suggesting it? It is worth some points but most unis offer on A level grades and she'll need good ones! I can't advise on the choice of A levels - maybe look at the uni websites?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:20 pm 

My understanding is that ; Geography and Biology have more maths content than before , so, never mind about the uccas points but is useful for those 2 subjects to get top marks ?

Otherwise, I agree it is a waste of time .....it seems to me to be a bit of a mickey-mouse qualification for a top-end grammar school and may even work against her???

I don't get why school are pushing for a very good, okay, not outstanding mathematician unless it's just for extra doss :shock: