Core Maths.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Core Maths.

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't have thought so and she can brush up on specific maths if/when she needs to. I don't see many GS offering it as they need the teachers for all the A level groups.

I cannot guess why they would be recommending it ...
KB

Post by KB »

A small sample size but from experience I'd say she is likely to need statistics at a level further than GCSE for the subjects she's looking at and also maybe for the chosen degree?

However if ( and I'd follow Guest55's advice) the core maths isn't helpful in this respect she'd be better keeping spare capacity and studying the extra topics specifically needed.
She won't have an exam to show for it but it will be of more practical use and demonstrate her commitment for application purposes.

Let's hope that by using maths in subjects that are of interest that her feelings towards it change.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would specifically ask the school why they are recommending it. They should teach the relevant stats as part of the A level. In a school where I taught some of the Psychology stats was taught by one of the Maths team as the 'real' teacher thought this was more appropriate.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Good point or even my son who did up-to- date Maths and FM could help her if she became stuck , I would be useless , I only did Pure Maths and Applied Maths( mechanics) A levels there was no stats in my course did a bit of probability though and nowadays can barely do my time-tables :(
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Back in the dawn of time my school insisted that anyone doing science A levels but not maths had to do a maths course. I did it for one year & refused to do the second year as there was no stats involved and that was what I needed. As long as there is support available in case any extra maths is needed, I wouldn't think it was necessary.
(Typo edited)
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now