A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

Re: A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Post by 2childmum »

We have checked - and have already stated that we know Manchester doesn't accept further maths as a 3rd subject. I know that Durham does, however, as they would have accepted it from my son (but he does study physics).

I think it is likely she will choose biology, although I suspect she would get a better grade in further maths!
doodles

Post by doodles »

2childmum I think it's a case of keeping as many doors open as possible. Ds2 had this decision to make and finally decided biology opened more doors than not doing FM closed - if that makes sense.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Sign me up for this thread! I’m guessing that October half term is really the latest that you’d want to be switching A level choices around? DD is signed up for Maths, FM, Geography and Economics but if she doesn’t like Economics (not having done it at GCSE) might swap to History. I think you need to make your mind up pretty smartish on that.
School starts this Wednesday. She has done some set reading for Geography although not nearly all that was set (this school has form in setting a silly amount of holiday work, last summer was ridiculous) and a Maths booklet. I think more time has been spent planning the outfits for week one :lol: a bit of uniform freedom has certainly caused a lot of angst that hopefully will subside quickly too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think technically they need to finalise choices by the autumn census date; subjects carried on after this and later dropped are counted against the school.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

2childmum wrote:DD is interested in neuroscience amongst other things - several places she has looked at will accept chemistry, maths and further maths, but I think she would find biology more useful if she does go down this route. A couple of places ask for biology and chemistry, so she would keep more options open with the biology. Manchester seems to be the only place which won't accept maths and further maths as two separate a levels.

The school don't see an issue with chemistry + 2 maths. But at the end of the day she has to make her own decision. I think I will encourage her to go and speak to a careers/uni application person at school, once we have worked out who they are!
If she is really interested in neuroscience then I agree that biology would be a really good option along with maths and chemistry.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DC17C wrote: If she is really interested in neuroscience then I agree that biology would be a really good option along with maths and chemistry.
Likewise. DD did Maths, Chem, Bio and a biochemistry/pharmacology degree - and is now working on brain tumour research and learning more about neuroscience than she thought possible! Flexibility within the sciences is eminently possible - look for degree courses with a lot of ways to select from a wide variety of modules
piggys

Post by piggys »

I'm climbing aboard this thread too :)

DD goes back to school this Wednesday and is very sure in her choices: History, Latin, French and English Lit. And before anyone says anything, yes I know and so does she, but her school is very determined to start everyone off with 4. I have said to her that if this proves too much then we will fully support her in dropping one (although she is keen to manage all 4).

She didn't get any holiday work but has read some of the y12 English texts and done some other wider reading.

As far as university is concerned both her dad and I have emphasised that her choices should be course and not institution led. We want he to pursue something she really engages with. Of all her subjects I'd say History and French are her two faves thus far but things might change.

have a great beginning of term everyone. If anyone has any qs about A level English lit texts don't hesitate to ask :)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

fairyelephant wrote:Sign me up for this thread! I’m guessing that October half term is really the latest that you’d want to be switching A level choices around? DD is signed up for Maths, FM, Geography and Economics but if she doesn’t like Economics (not having done it at GCSE) might swap to History. I think you need to make your mind up pretty smartish on that.
My DD was doing Maths, FM, Geography and Politics this time last year. She found FM really hard and gave it up in November... too late to take up another A level but school insisted on her picking up EPQ.

Are many schools offering EPQ this year? Luckily, hers was done in Y12, so all done and dusted. She will pick up the official result on Thursday.

DS doing Maths, Physics, Geography and German. Happy days, two doing A levels a year apart.

DD still refusing to go to any UK university open days. She will apply blind and then (possibly) go to offer days.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Blitz wrote:DD still refusing to go to any UK university open days. She will apply blind and then (possibly) go to offer days.
That is a perfect strategy imho. DD visited one before applying; DS1 ditto (a different one). We reckon all the information you need to apply is easily available beforehand and the offer days are far better for students to make their minds up. If you are still undecided between upwards of 5 universities pre-application then maybe visit a couple but some people seem to embark upon The Grand Tour. DD went to 3 post offer days; DS1's uni doesn't do them but he did spend 2 days there for interviews. Your DD will be fine with that strategy imho.

Meant to say - fantastic set of A level choices for your son there too - what a broad education he will have. :)
Last edited by Amber on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

+1
But if post offer days aren't an option Iwoild at least go to have a walk around both the University and the area generally.

The only exception might be if all your choices are in major cities and you arent used to that kind of environment. I would try to spend a couple of days seeing if the lifestyle suits.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now