A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
piggys

Re: A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Post by piggys »

I love Paradise Lost! did you know we have Milton to thank for the word 'pandemonium'? it means , literally, all the demons. Genius!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

loobylou wrote:My friend's child has just started A levels. She managed to get a place at sixth form at a good local comprehensive having achieved 4s and 5s (and a couple of 6s) at her indie. They are making them all do 4 A levels. I think it might be because they're still doing AS levels and then they might let them drop 2 and this will give them enough UCAS points to apply for a university (does this make sense? I'm not sure) - the school told my friend it was in order to reduce free periods and the potential for messing about.
It does seem very hard, given that most relatively academic children are being encouraged to do 3 A levels, that children like her who aren't really academic are being made to do 4. She's struggling already.
My DD would have taken 4 if I had let her - and the first few weeks had quite a few "I miss physics" comments. Now she is into the swing of it and that has stopped. 3 is plenty.
Both the local GS and the nearest (and quite often sought after) comp both push 4 and I think it is asking a lot. I feel for her
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

loobylou wrote:My friend's child has just started A levels. She managed to get a place at sixth form at a good local comprehensive having achieved 4s and 5s (and a couple of 6s) at her indie. They are making them all do 4 A levels. I think it might be because they're still doing AS levels and then they might let them drop 2 and this will give them enough UCAS points to apply for a university (does this make sense? I'm not sure) - the school told my friend it was in order to reduce free periods and the potential for messing about.
It does seem very hard, given that most relatively academic children are being encouraged to do 3 A levels, that children like her who aren't really academic are being made to do 4. She's struggling already.
I'm surprised that that particular school are pushing for 4. My dd is at a GS and only those that obtained I think it was 64 points (best 8 GCSE scores) or over were allowed to take 4 A Levels. My dd was more than happy to not reach that score as she knew that 3 would be enough!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

There is so much pressure on our DCs to do 4 A-levels, my DD initally did 4, but realised by Christmas Y12 that she was not putting 100% into each subject - yes there are those than can keep up with 4, however my DD deciding to drop one was the best thing she did and could focus all her time/energy on her 3 subjects. She's now in her 2nd year at Uni and loving it :)

My DS recently finished Y11 and did obtain enough points to do 4 subjects (as many of his friends have chosen to do) but he was and still is adamaount that he would like to study his 3 chosen subjects and felt by doing so would be able to give each 100% focus. The school recommended he do 4 and even some of his friends questioned his decision ... "what if you don't enjoy one of your subjects and you've only got three, then you're stuck". Yes that is a risk, however he has not been swayed and currently is very happy with his choices and decision. He works hard and that's all we can ask of our DCs - good luck to all DCs over the next two years :) it'll soon fly by :shock:
Heartmum x x x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Don't do 4 unless the 4th is Further Maths.

Both dd have experienced friends missing offers because of doing 4.

A levels is a time to focus and find out which subject really suits you, they won't have long before they will need to start choosing what to do at University. DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Heartmum, I think it's different since the new A levels. My DS1 (same year as your DD) started off with 4 as that was usual then, and dropped one after AS. There was no pressure for DS2 to do 4 - in fact, in spite of having GCSE grades every bit as good, and possibly better, than DS1, he didn't reach the threshold to do 4 (thank goodness!). The only advantage I can see with 4 is to start with the intention of dropping the least favourite after a few weeks.
scary mum
Hera

Post by Hera »

DS is doing 4 but one is Further Maths which he needs for the uni courses he wants to do.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is starting with 4. The school offer 3 or 4 (I suspect they are pushing 4, but less than they used to.)

DD is highly likely to drop one, as she knows the impact on offers, but at the moment doesn’t know which. For what she would like to do, it wouldn’t matter too much which one.

She seems to be quite unusual amongst her friends in that she knows what she wants to do at Uni already and has even done some research into where she would like to go, as in a bored moment over the summer, she looked through quite a lot and figured out what was important to her. As a result she knows what most unis are looking for in types of A level subjects and grades. She also knows now what her current top choice look for on the PS.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Anyone else got DCs doing AS levels this time?

DD decided chemistry was the one she was dropping and is taking the AS. Exams next week.

Then starting an EPQ instead. :roll:
doodles

Post by doodles »

No AS for ds this year but he is working hard for eoy exams.

Having started with 3 sciences and maths he changed his mind again :roll: and for a fleeting moment in September was doing 5 A levels! He ended up dropping Biology in favour of FM so actually made his life easier thank goodness.

I can't actually believe where this year has gone. So much has changed here the beginning of this thread seems half a world away!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !