A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

Re: A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Post by 2childmum »

MrsChubbs wrote:Totally endorse talking to the teacher re any of the sciences. The courses are very content heavy (particularly biology) and students have to find different ways of working from GCSE. The school/sixth form should be helping them with this as a year group and certainly in the specific subjects. One of the best techniques is to get the teaching schedule for the term (or year) from the teacher so they know what topic the teacher is going to cover in the lesson. Then read through the chapter BEFORE the lesson, make notes with big spaces and highlight with a highlighter areas that they don't understand. (Or they can highlight the text book if they prefer). And why they don't understand it so they can ask the question in class.
This will allow them to focus their attention solely on what the teacher is saying/showing in the lesson and acts as a reinforcement of what they have learned and understood already and clarifies hopefully what they have struggled with.
They can then add to their notes as soon as possible after the class. To really nail it they should look up exam questions which they should try first and then with their answers. If they still don't get it, ask a friend who does to explain it to them. If still no, book time to see teacher.
Get a WhatsApp group going for the class so they can share questions/queries and encourage each other to work.
Sorry for the long one. Hope it helps

Thanks for the suggestions. DD has been trying to read the textbook in advance of the lessons and I'll suggest the making notes idea.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD has brought home her new graphical calculator today.

I thought I knew calculators. Even ones with reverse polish logic failed to defeat me.

I think this one might...

Just glad it isn’t me who has to use it. I’m sure she’ll love it.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

we have on ordered too. It looked very whizzy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is this: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

No it’s a fx-9860GII.

I don’t need to know. :lol: I’m sure she will learn. I just won’t be borrowing it any time soon.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Off topic but I will not forgive myself if I do not mention it. DD1 had to have some fancy calculator (well I'd call it fancy) for her FM A level. She used this throughout university and then, 5 minutes before the start of the last of her many final exams realised (or remembered duh grrr :cry: ) it had a function which meant she would not be allowed to use it for that particular paper. (Very) luckily her flatmate had brought a spare one which he loaned to her. Many others were not so fortunate and had to spend huge parts of the exam doing calculations 'by hand' just like we did. Lesson learned but only just in time...
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s a fair warning.
She should be Ok at A level since it’s not only recommended by the school but bought through them too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At university DS and his coursemates were provided with the calculators to ensure parity.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD's A level choices were mostly fixed by her desire to be a vet - had to do Biology & Chemistry so it was then just Maths or Physics for number 3. Some of her friends and classmates seem to be flip flopping all over the place. 2 of her maths class have switched this week - one to chemistry, the other going for a complete switch to IB from A levels. Is this more the norm?
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Yes seems to be normal. A few of dd's friends have switched within the last few days. Most of them dropping Maths A Level for some reason and taking up another subject. I'm not entirely sure the reason for this.

Dd is taking Dance, English Lit/Lang and Psychology A Levels and is happy with her choices thankfully.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now