A level choices - future career accounting and finance

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
watford

A level choices - future career accounting and finance

Post by watford »

Hoping someone can help.

DD is looking to go into accounting and finance at uni and is taking sociology, RS and chemistry as A levels.

Would the Russell Group Universities accept her over the students that have taken maths/economics? I'm assuming she has better marks in these subjects thans students having taken maths/economics. She has the possibility of doing these subjects but doesn't enjoy them.

Most universities she has investigated say there is no preference of A Levels for this degree and the main requirement is a 7 in maths. However I can't help thinking that other students with maths and economics will get preference.

Thank you in advance.
piggys

Re: A level choices - future career accounting and finance

Post by piggys »

I can't answer your question but I can advise that she is far better off taking A level subjects she enjoys rather than ones she doesn't. Why is she so fixed on Accounting and Finance?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Don't be concerned with what Russell Group universities are looking for. They are a self-appointed group and aren't necessarily the best universities for undergraduate study. In fact, only 10 of the 21 members that take part in the TEF hold gold awards. It's far better to do some research into which universities offer the right course in the right setting in the right way, etc etc than it is to be fixated on Russell Group membership. For example, Bath University isn't in the Russell Group but is deemed to be much better than many in the group for a number of subjects and holds a gold TEF rating.

Why not put a call/email in to some suitable universities and ask them? There are also some useful guides such as Which? that give you an idea of entry requirements for the various courses and universities.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

watford wrote:Most universities she has investigated say there is no preference of A Levels for this degree and the main requirement is a 7 in maths. However I can't help thinking that other students with maths and economics will get preference.
I think you added this sentence after I originally replied? There's your answer. I would trust your daughter's research over "can't help thinking" :D . Statistically we are in a period of low student numbers which has coincided with many universities expanding. It's a "buyer's market" in that sense and only some universities and some courses can afford to be highly selective of their potential students. Each student is a walking chequebook of £30k and more over three years.
watford

Post by watford »

piggys wrote:I can't answer your question but I can advise that she is far better off taking A level subjects she enjoys rather than ones she doesn't. Why is she so fixed on Accounting and Finance?
Hi Piggys
She's looking to go into forensic accounting following several weeks work experience but the finance/management element to the degree will be more broad so hopefully she's not just restricted to accounting in the future.

DD is headstrong and has decided that she's going to take the subjects she enjoys:) rather than be miserable for 2 years. She said life is too short.
watford

Post by watford »

watford wrote:
piggys wrote:I can't answer your question but I can advise that she is far better off taking A level subjects she enjoys rather than ones she doesn't. Why is she so fixed on Accounting and Finance?
Hi Piggys
She's looking to go into forensic accounting following several weeks work experience but the finance/management element to the degree will be more broad so hopefully she's not just restricted to accounting in the future.

DD is headstrong and has decided that she's going to take the subjects she enjoys:) rather than be miserable for 2 years. She said life is too short.
Just to add we called some universities and they said as long as she has 7 in maths and 6 in English it doesn't matter what subjects she is doing as long as they aren't on their 'blacklist' which they are not.

Thanks you to all
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Whilst I completely agree that students should study A levels they enjoy, and with good work experience/passion for the subject, she wil likely find a university that might accept her onto their degree course, I am a bit worried if she thinks she would be "miserable" studying the subjects more traditionally associated with Accounting and finance...there will be huge elements of both maths and economics in the degree so she is in danger of delaying the misery and then having to study it for at least 3 years. It probably wouldn't be the tack I would take on her Personal Statement/at interviews as to why she chose the subjects she did, for example - I would tell her to talk about breadth, research skills, applied maths (in Chemistry) etc etc etc as to why she chose these rather than the more traditional subjects.
watford

Post by watford »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Whilst I completely agree that students should study A levels they enjoy, and with good work experience/passion for the subject, she wil likely find a university that might accept her onto their degree course, I am a bit worried if she thinks she would be "miserable" studying the subjects more traditionally associated with Accounting and finance...there will be huge elements of both maths and economics in the degree so she is in danger of delaying the misery and then having to study it for at least 3 years. It probably wouldn't be the tack I would take on her Personal Statement/at interviews as to why she chose the subjects she did, for example - I would tell her to talk about breadth, research skills, applied maths (in Chemistry) etc etc etc as to why she chose these rather than the more traditional subjects.
Great point, thank you
piggys

Post by piggys »

watford wrote:
Hi Piggys

:D I can't help agreeing with her! I do think - based on a lot of observation in the schools and colleges I have taught in, as well as with my private students - that it is a far better, more fulfilling and educationally beneficial to do just that. It sounds like she has given it some serious thought.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Even when the answer is 'for the money', I still can't for the life of me understand why a 17 year old would come to the conclusion that they want to do A & F. To become a Forensic Accountant, I can just about go for, though :)

There must be a requirement for analytical skills in Chemistry that one can 'push' as well as the maths side of it, I suppose?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx