Paying for sixth form books

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Paying for sixth form books

Post by Tinkers »

scary mum wrote:We had to pay for all books in 6th form. Once the new courses are established you should be able to resell them.
Only a couple of books needed for degree.
We’ve been asked to buy some. We’ve been told some of the year 13s have some to sell. We will definitely have to buy English Lit texts, but the school order in the correct version.

There’s a book disposit to pay (at least there has been in previous years), so I think some books are given out. The school say that if anyone has issues affording books then they should let the school know.

We also have to buy a graphical calculator. Again the school but in bulk and pass on the saving.

I needed hoards of books for uni. I still have most of them. Some recommended were very expensive (but thankfully only recommended and not compulsory), but these were often texts written by the lecturer themselves. Double edged sword. No issues with copywrite when they were using stuff directly out of the book to teach us, but it was a blatant plug to buy the book. At close to £100 it wasn’t going to happen. Most were £10-20 and a few available secondhand (though not many as they continued to be useful in early careers).

Biggest and most useful. Perry’s Chemical engineers’ handbook. £35, my parents bought it me for Christmas. Needed at some point by everyone for most subjects too. I still use it, although my company now pay for everyone to have online access to the most up to date version. Otherwise they would have to strengthen the floors, it’s a big book. Also good for flower pressing (not that I ever have).
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think university is a bit easier now with the internet.
In pre-internet days I could have spent my entire first and second term's grant on text books. The cost was scary. Since my parents didn't support me financially and it was pre-loan-days, I starved myself to buy the cheapest books possible. It was pretty hideous. I got a hardship grant later on which helped.
When I talk to the students nowadays though they think we're ancient when we talk about text books!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I did a modular degree so there were new books to buy every term :(
That was after changing courses at the end of the first term - thankfully I hadn't bought too many of the books for that course as my grant cheque was so delayed
mad?

Post by mad? »

Slightly off topic but DD2 studying Architecture has just had her list of required equipment through for the 1st year. Once I picked myself up from the floor she showed we the additional expenditure estimate for materials during years 1 2 and 3. Suffice to say :shock: :shock: :shock:
mad?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

All books are provided at DC's 6th Forms. It was suggested we buy a £80 calculator for FM. That was a birthday present sorted. :lol:
Hera

Post by Hera »

We had to buy books for some subjects for GCSE too.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We don't have to buy any books for GCSE but there are books that we can buy at a discount if we want to, mainly revision guides.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The only GCSE book we had to buy was Eng Lit so that she could write on it. We chose to buy some study guides as the etxt books were incredibly ancient and out of date.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now