Changing 1 Alevel in Y13

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CeciC

Changing 1 Alevel in Y13

Post by CeciC »

Is it possible to change A level in Y13?
My daughter is just not enjoying one of her A levels, actually, she is beginning to hate it, and she mentioned to me this weekend that she might ask the school is she can change it to another one. Her grades for the one she would like to change it to was A* (History) and the grade for the one she is doing right now was just a B (Art), but she really enjoyed Art and she was afraid she wouldn't be able to answer 25 marks questions in History, so that is why she chose Art instead.
I have talked to her, and she is almost convinced that once she goes back to do coursework for Art, she will be fine, and I think is the best she can do, as applications to UNI are soon, and she won't have any predicted grades for History.
Her predicted grades are AAB, the B is for Art, but issues with one of her Art teachers, she is not sure she will get a B. Her grades after mocks was a C for Art.
TIA
piggys

Re: Changing 1 Alevel in Y13

Post by piggys »

So how would your dd manage to compress a 2 year syllabus into one year, in her view? even if her teachers bent over backward to give her extra help and lunchtime/after school lessons she would not really manage it. I would very strongly advise against changing, especially to a subject like History.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Highly unlikely the school will allow such a late change - there is really only half a year before revision starts.

I think she needs to deal with the 'issues' and persevere.
CeciC

Post by CeciC »

Thanks for the replies.
I think you are both correct. I had told already told her that it would be almost impossible to do it, and that I didn't think the school would allow her to change at this time.. far far too late to do it.
I asked the question because, I just want to reassure myself that it would be impossible to do it. I wasn't educated in the UK, so the system is new to me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now