A level Eng Lit or RS ?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: A level Eng Lit or RS ?

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote:Which subject does she prefer? I think that is the bottom line here.
DS2 started with both of those subjects as well as 2 others (school encourages a 4 start with one dropped by half term). He dropped RE and was very glad to do so.
The best solution for her would be to be allowed to start with 4 A levels and drop the fourth subject later, once she has had a good feeling of the syllabus and requirements of each A level course. Maybe you could approach the headmaster/headmistress about this permission?

This absence of AS levels is really a big problem after the last reform. There are sixth form students out there who start three A levels and then they are very weak in one of them... but they cannot drop it because they do not have a fourth A level!! I am not from Marseilles (place known for having people used to exaggerations), but I would say: 'This is a tragedy!'
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:I"m not totally up with new grades but imagine there isn't necessarily much difference between 8 & 9?
Nor am I. My take on it using my STEM brain the difference between 9 and an 8 would be a little like getting 90UMS and say 95UMS in the old system .....the relationship would not be linear but exponential in other-words to get from say 70UMS to 75UMS would be much, much easier than getting from 90UMS to 95UMS.

I don't really know , I'm just surmising :D
KB

Post by KB »

I'm sure your maths will be correct!

I guess I was thinking more in real life terms of what determines grades achieved at A level and whether a GCSE grade 9 v 8 would be a significant factor.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

FWIW I recall being told at A level information evening that in the school’s experience its not wise to change from a subject you want to do to one you feel you should do because your GCSE grade is better, and that therefore school counsel DC carefully if it seems they are doing this. If the school’s requirement is a 7 to take that subject for example, then they are happy anyone with a 7 or above can cope and do well. The difference between an 8 or 9 may only be a few marks on a given day, so don’t let it sway you too much, last year you wouldn’t have given it a second thought! Hope she enjoys whatever she chooses :)
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:I'm sure your maths will be correct!

I guess I was thinking more in real life terms of what determines grades achieved at A level and whether a GCSE grade 9 v 8 would be a significant factor.
I always took it as rule of thumb that if you got A* then you should reasonably expect if all else is equal to get a grade B or better at A level.

Now , I making an assumption here, but a student with the new 9 should reasonably be expected to get a grade A or better at A level??
KB

Post by KB »

Catseye wrote:

I always took it as rule of thumb that if you got A* then you should reasonably expect if all else is equal to get a grade B or better at A level.

Now , I making an assumption here, but a student with the new 9 should reasonably be expected to get a grade A or better at A level??

It may well be that statistically this is true although we will have to wait to see if there is a significant difference verween A level grades for those getting 9 rather than 8 in each subject.

Its the 'all else being equal' where real life comes in to play. In my experience 'all else' is rarely equal - teaching, relationship between teacher & pupils, standard of group, hormones, change of commitment to subjects and so much more.
My educated guess is that a young person who is interested in and works hard at a subject they got an 8 in would be quite capable of hitting the A*.
With the move away from modular A levels the * is much more difficult to predict, even for those having gained the 9 at GCSE.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Catseye wrote:

Can you really predict this? I always think that GCSEs are basically a memory test and by the time it gets to A level you need to start thinking. If you can't think for yourself you won't do well at A level. And what about all the other variables which affect might affect an individual's A level performance - love, lust, drugs, alcohol, partying, getting bored with school, with parents, with life in general...? One of the brightest sparks I ever taught at A level Fell in Love, became pregnant and dropped out altogether.

But I suppose a grade 9 is a reasonable start.

Cross posted with KB, who said the same thing more politely I think.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:ts the 'all else being equal' where real life comes in to play. In my experience 'all else' is rarely equal - teaching, relationship between teacher & pupils, standard of group, hormones, change of commitment to subjects and so much more.
Amber wrote:If you can't think for yourself you won't do well at A level. And what about all the other variables which affect might affect an individual's A level performance - love, lust, drugs, alcohol, partying, getting bored with school, with parents, with life in general...?
Both very valid points.
Thank you and I don't disagree but we can't plan for those variables , no one can !

We can only go by the evidence we have at this moment in time , I nor you have a crystal ball .....or do you ?
KB

Post by KB »

Isnt the point of the new GCSEs to move away from regurgitation and require more 'thinking'?
May have got the wrong end of the stick - not directly involved at this level any longer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Catseye wrote: We can only go by the evidence we have at this moment in time , I nor you have a crystal ball .....or do you ?
Nope. Can't predict my own child's grades, let alone yours, Catseye. Best therefore to go with what will be enjoyed the most, then.