Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Psychology at A level
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 am 

Dear All

Back again....

DD is taking psychology, RS, economics ( slight change from my last post!).

She wants to go into a finance related field but Is debating whether to change psychology back to her original choice of chemistry.

Having rung some universities Nottingham, Kings, Leeds, Birtmingham etc they say that she only needs the grades and the 7 in maths. A facilitating subject would not be advantageous for the course she wants to do.

How true is this? She enjoys both chemistry and psychology although finds psychology easier. She only had a few lessons though!

How true is this about about applying to universities without any facilitating subjects?

Thank you for all your help! This forum is amazing!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 am 

My worry is that she may change her mind and restrict other choices. Economics tends not to be asked for - even for Economics degrees.

Is she totally against doing Maths? That would benefit any degree in this area and keep more doors open. Remember most unis will say choices don't rule you out but that does not mean you will be a strong candidate.

Put potential A levels in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:53 am 

One thing I noticed (back in the day) was that subjects with pupils who chose A-Levels that they hadn't studied at GCSE tended to have a higher proportion of less able students. Probably hoping for a new start that didn't always materialise :) That often affected the class dynamic and ultimately the teaching. Psychology/Economics could suffer from that.

All that said, if she enjoys the subject(s) then that is half the battle.

Agree with Guest, regarding maths.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am 

Guest55 wrote:
My worry is that she may change her mind and restrict other choices. Economics tends not to be asked for - even for Economics degrees.

Is she totally against doing Maths? That would benefit any degree in this area and keep more doors open. Remember most unis will say choices don't rule you out but that does not mean you will be a strong candidate.

Put potential A levels in this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Thank you for the valuable input

She struggled with some of the maths at GCSE and so is reluctant to take it for a level. She is concerned that she may spend a lot of her time on maths at the expense of the other subjects which is what happened previously.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am 

RedPanda wrote:
One thing I noticed (back in the day) was that subjects with pupils who chose A-Levels that they hadn't studied at GCSE tended to have a higher proportion of less able students. Probably hoping for a new start that didn't always materialise :) That often affected the class dynamic and ultimately the teaching. Psychology/Economics could suffer from that.

All that said, if she enjoys the subject(s) then that is half the battle.

Agree with Guest, regarding maths.

Thank you, interesting point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am 

watford wrote:
She struggled with some of the maths at GCSE and so is reluctant to take it for a level. She is concerned that she may spend a lot of her time on maths at the expense of the other subjects which is what happened previously.

Then she may find that down the line she doesn't like Psychology.....40% of Psychology is Statistics (I always find teachers tend to gloss over that bit when they are "selling" the subject to prospective students....)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 am 

Yes, Psychology involves a lot of maths - the maths team used to teach that bit of the syllabus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 pm 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
40% of Psychology is Statistics

There is a joke in there somewhere :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:30 pm 

...and 60% of statistics is psychology. Trust me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

:lol: :lol: