A-level subject choice

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tokki

Re: A-level subject choice

Post by Tokki »

Thank you, everyone, for the response.

I was panicky last night when my DD was crying and said that she would have had other thoughts about her A-level subjects if my husband did't push her into Architecture...

I told her to talk to her teacher but she should be honest with herself. I told her that she shouldn't worry about her dad's wish and go with her gut feeling.

When I went to pick her up from school today, she looked a little happier and she said that she would stick to her original subjects, which includes Physics. She was worried before as in previous lessons she was overwhelmed by the the other students' motivation for the subject, which made her feel like she might not be in the right place, but today's lesson was more enjoyable so she wants to give it a try.

Her passion is Art and it would be fantastic if she could become a fine artist, but we know that would not be easy... unless she had a wealthy family to support her. We know all this because my husband did an Art degree and struggled to get a job, hence his wish to gain a professional qualification related to art.

Yet, I have to remember somebody saying there are many unemployed architect...

Thank you all :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

With those A levels she could become a design engineer; she'd never be out of work :)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Glad things have settled down a bit and DD appears happier. I agree with the comments above about separating the A levels choice from the career choice. If she is enjoying those subjects they offer a great combination. If she is only doing them for a specific degree then think again particularly as they are not all necessary for that degree. When the time comes (definitely not now) to consider degree choices, do be aware that Architecture has one of the lowest employment and salary outcomes of degrees, despite its high entry requirements coupled with the fact that qualification takes a minimum of 7 years. I do not say this in criticism, DD2 is studying architecture, but it is a very long slog with limited outcomes in many cases. When the time comes don't let that put her off, but she can keep her options open either way and does not need to study all those subjects to do that. Good luck.
mad?