ComSci graduates earn five times more than arts students

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: ComSci graduates earn five times more than arts students

Post by mike1880 »

When people ask me what degree daughter is doing it usually leads to a look of utter bafflement and the follow-up question "But what job can she do with that?".

Since when did a university education become a vocational training course?
Last edited by mike1880 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:Since when did a university education become a vocational training course?
+ 1 to this ^^^
I guess since in a bid to reach the 50% target a myriad of vocational courses/subjects were moved from technical colleges. Same students, same outcomes, same courses, sometimes same teaching staff but piles of debt as well.
mad?
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

I agree that it is important to study a subject that the student enjoys - 3+ years is a long time if you don’t enjoy it. I also agree that a first degree can be seen as part of a general education. But, it’s also important to think about where that degree can lead to, and ultimately what jobs.

For me, I interpret the headlines that graduates in one subject being paid well to mean they are in demand. Being in demand is no bad thing and reduces the risk of being unemployed.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Top of the guide’s academic rankings is Cambridge, with Oxford in second place. Loughborough is named Sunday Times university of the year. Oxford and Cambridge languish at the bottom of the guide’s new social inclusion table, however, based on six measures including the proportion of working-class, ethnic minority and mature students.

It ranks Oxford as the least socially inclusive with only 40% of its students not coming from private or grammar schools. Sixteen of the bottom 20 places in the new table are members of the Russell Group of universities that dominate the academic rankings.

The startling statistic is revealed as The Sunday Times today becomes the first newspaper to compile a university league table for social inclusion as part of its Good University Guide.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A minority of 5 :wink: ... And I hope we are not a minority!!! :wink:
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Catseye wrote:mature students.
Therefore, when I will be retired, in twenty years or so, I will have to think about applying there, just to see how their inclusiveness has developed!!! :lol: :lol:
Yesterday, I was just watching a video of a 71 years old lady who sat her baccalauréat in France this year. She has impressive results... but I do not think she can obtain such results without revising, as the article pretends... It is a bit like the 11+: people say then do not make their children study or they pretend that they do not do plenty of activities with them or read with them when it is the opposite!!! Idem for the GCSEs!!

Here is the link of the French thread where the article is posted as I am not allowed to post stuff in French in other places on this fantastic forum; look for this post if you are interested and fluent in French: ‘Réussir son bac sans réviser, Marie-Anne, 71 ans, a t-elle réussi le défi de ses petites-filles ?’
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... start=3010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

JaneEyre wrote:A minority of 5 :wink: ... And I hope we are not a minority!!! :wink:
I'm in a majority of one :lol:

Anyway, how are you doing ? JE, please don't let Brexit get you down we will shelter you from the storm, my old friend.

Brexit the most stupid idea conceived by man or beast.I can't even be bothered to argue with Brexiteers, it's that stupid.....you will be fine, trust me, we will never allow any harm to come to you or your family.

We are family on here :D

pss...you are still wrong, 50K debt and no means to pay it off....just saying :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Catseye wrote: Anyway, how are you doing ? JE, please don't let Brexit get you down we will shelter you from the storm, my old friend.

Brexit the most stupid idea conceived by man or beast.I can't even be bothered to argue with Brexiteers, it's that stupid.....you will be fine, trust me, we will never allow any harm to come to you or your family.

We are family on here :D
Thank you Catseye! :D You know, though I am a law-abiding citizen - trust me!- I don't even feel I will be doing something wrong if I become illegal by going on living in dear England!!!! :wink:
Yesterday, by attending a event on Brexit (during which I fell asleep on my chair! :lol: ) , I got my blue T-shirt with the twelve yellow stars and I have a pin (soon to be placed on my coat) with two flags: the British one and the Union Jack! :wink:
Catseye wrote:
pss...you are still wrong, 50K debt and no means to pay it off....just saying :wink:
You are right, but I hope to find a 50K treasure trove in my garden that I would be allowed to keep and use!!!! :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now