When do you start looking at 6th forms?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: When do you start looking at 6th forms?

Post by loobylou »

Around here, all the schools have different criteria for 6th form entry. Most require 5 passes, some 6. Some require 4s in maths and English, others don't if they're not relevant to A level choices.
A level subjects need higher passes but differ subject by subject.
The selective schools require higher GCSE numbers and grades.
I do know of one school that accepts all external candidates who meet their requirements. It means that done of their A level classes are very large - bigger than almost any of dd's GCSE classes. Some of the teachers say that's very difficult, especially those which are more essay related.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:I don't understand how they get away with it.
Unless they make their internal candidates sit the same exams, I think it would actually be illegal, no?
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Illegal? Yes, you would think so Amber, but seriously no, there are exams for external candidates for some of the A level courses at some of the sixth forms in Bromley, Bexley areas and parts of north Kent. If you want to apply to those schools as an internal candidate you will need the correct predicted grade, 8 for maths at one school I know, as an external and of course achieve it in your GCSE, but there is no entry exam for internals.

Completely unfair system across the country.

Blue Marigold - sounds like you will be fine if you are in Bucks. There are so many different aspects to each schools' sixth form entry that it's good to start early. Some schools some of my DC saw twice, went to open days when they were in year 10 and then in year 11. But then as I said before, you need to book tickets around here as the sixth form events get full ! A friend of mine couldn't see a school because she hadn't realised you had to book tickets. Ridiculous, but true in this area. You don't have to view a school to apply of course, but it certainly helps.
mad?

Post by mad? »

bluesea wrote:Completely unfair system across the country.
Indeed it is :(
mad?
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Dd who has just started Sixth Form at her own school went for an 'interview' at another GS in the town consisting of a tour of the school and then a friendly one to one discussion with the Head of Sixth Form. The unconditional offer was based on her predicted results and the 'discussion'.

Dd saw this as a Plan B in case she didn't get enough points to stay at her school (which she did), but I thought it was good experience to have a one to one discussion/interview as she hasn't had much experience of interviews until now.
KB

Post by KB »

DCs school 'interviewed' external candidates but only in the same way as existing pupils had a one to one with a senior member of staff to talk about subject choices and suitability for the 6th form.
It is highly academic and has a particular ethos so it's helpful for external candidates to fully understand what they are letting themselves in for.

This particular school did set the same minimum entry requirements for all but while internal applicants automatically got a place if these were met, for external candidates there was ranking by predicted grades before offers were made.
In the past it was more subjective but presumably due to tightening of regulations this has changed.

I can see why external candidates might feel miffed that they are competing for a limited number of places but I do believe that existing students should be able to continue at 'their' school if they meet eligibility requirements. The continuity is important for pupils and school in my opinion.
Last edited by KB on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

I believe all students should be able to stay in their own school, from year 11 through to year 13. That was the old system when I was a student. But, of course, no league tables in those days.

Now schools can choose who "not to have".
KB

Post by KB »

I think most of the complaints have been about schools who / tried to throw pupils out after year 12.

If the school has set reasonable requirements for staying on after year 11 that seems less harsh. Less academic pupils in an environment that doesn't suit them probably wont reach their potential.
I would object though if they took in the very best from outside at the expense of 'solidly good' internal pupils.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

KB wrote:I think most of the complaints have been about schools who / tried to throw pupils out after year 12.

If the school has set reasonable requirements for staying on after year 11 that seems less harsh. Less academic pupils in an environment that doesn't suit them probably wont reach their potential.
I would object though if they took in the very best from outside at the expense of 'solidly good' internal pupils.
No, the discussion was looking at and getting into sixth forms. The off rolling at the end of year 12 is a different headache. The problem is schools setting high grades and entrance exams for external candidates to access certain A level courses. Although they must, in theory and in law, ask for the same grade from an internal candidate, the internal candidates do not have to sit an entrance exam. So it is not an equal process. Thin ice either way you look at it.