When do you start looking at 6th forms?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Re: When do you start looking at 6th forms?

Post by KenR »

Guest55 wrote:Yes - I'm waiting for these to be named because I don't think there are any GS which have sixth form entrance tests.
Don't think any have written 6th form entry exams but many have "pre-entry assessment/Audition days" - interviews in old money!
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thanks everyone. I was just asking for general advice, not necessarily trying to move to a grammar school. I think after reading the replies, we shall leave it till the start of Year 11 to start looking.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They aren't allowed to interview but many get around it by calling it something else :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

bluesea wrote:Perhaps your area is different. Or perhaps the south-east is more oversubscribed due to over population. If a school sixth form is very oversubscribed they would be mad to just go on predicted grades.
I'm in Bucks - none of the GS here test - they offer on predictions and confirm places after results.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Well, there are exams for entry into many sixth forms around here. They are definitely not interviews. Just like external exams, taking place in school halls for entry to certain A level courses.

Blue Marigold. Hopefully you are not in this area and won't have the odd entrance exam to sit !
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Probably much fairer in Bucks then Guest. I don't like the exams here.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't understand how they get away with it.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Having been through it a few times with DC I find the whole system of applying as external candidates to sixth forms to be a totally unfair system, and my DC got the schools of their choice! But they are very academic. How must it be for children who work hard for a 4 or 5 grade? There are plenty of schools around here who would not look at a predicted 5. So many get written off as unintelligent and pushed into sub-standard colleges. Perhaps my area is the problem. There is too much of a divide between the traditional schools and sixth form colleges here.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

bluesea wrote:
Blue Marigold. Hopefully you are not in this area and won't have the odd entrance exam to sit !
We are in Bucks and, thankfully, none of the schools we are looking at have entrance exams. We are mostly looking at upper schools around the area and there is a college and lots of schools with 6th forms and a couple of grammar school options. I know the entry requirements for each school and when to apply for each school etc but I wasn’t sure when to start actually doing the open days and how many schools you are allowed to apply for. We could just apply for all the ones that do the subjects she wants to do. Some of the schools don’t even offer the A-levels she wants so we can count those out.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Guest55 wrote:
bluesea wrote: Some grammars have exams for external candidates to take, normally during school term before the GCSEs. Do prepare for these.
Which GS do this please? I know of none ...

The grade requirements HAVE to be the same for external candidates but often there are too many and that's where the over-subscription criteria come in.
I believe St Olaves have entrance tests at Sixth form or have done in the past, of course thir record on sixth form policies isn’t the best...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now