Number of A Levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Number of A Levels

Post by Guest55 »

There is no excuse as the AMSP [formerly the FMSP] can offer tuition in any school.

http://furthermaths.org.uk/amsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps those schools don't have any students wanting to study F Maths?
MSD

Post by MSD »

This is the extract from research - "there are many schools that offer A level Mathematics but who do not offer Further Mathematics".

It appears from the wording it's the schools not offering, rather than not having students interested in Further Maths for them to offer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is absolutely no reason for them to say this - any school can access the subject. Please look at the website - some of the Secondary Moderns in Bucks are doing this.

These schools are clearly making excuses ... it costs the school less than the money they get for running an A level.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Just a thought - and I don't know much about the subject - but I know of at least a couple of schools which only have one maths graduate teaching in the maths department because of recruitment difficulties (and one with apparently none). I'm guessing that it might be difficult to teach Further Maths without a maths degree?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the teaching can be provided online so, no, that wouldn't stop a school offering it.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Genuine question G55, why do you think they don't offer it then?
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Absolutely no idea. As I said some Bucks Secondary Moderns offer it - maybe people need to ask?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:Absolutely no idea. As I said some Bucks Secondary Moderns offer it - maybe people need to ask?
OK Thank you. That ship has sailed for me but useful to know for future 6th form applicants.
mad?
dez

Post by dez »

Although three 'A' levels is the usual requirement for most universities, students shouldn't be limited to just three/four subjects as long as the school has the facilities and the student is capable. 8)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why should anyone do more than 4? It's absolutely pointless ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now