AS Mocks

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nyr

AS Mocks

Post by nyr »

We didn't anticipate that DS would have GCSE mocks in early January and went abroad over the Christmas holidays. It caused DS some concern, though he seems to have got away with it this time, but we wouldn't want to make the same mistake next Christmas. Do schools that still enter pupils for AS exams usually have mocks this early in the academic year? My guess would be that they don't, as the students wouldn't have covered enough of the syllabus for a meaningful mock but I would be interested to know of others experience of this.
Tinkers

Re: AS Mocks

Post by Tinkers »

DD only had a talk about AS levels yesterday, so they haven’t even decided what if any AS levels they might be taking. They can still withdraw from doing them at the beginning of April (I think that what she said last night). She certainly hasn’t mentioned doing any mocks. I’m not sure what they would do, as it doesn’t fit with end of year exams either.

I know the subject she is looking to do an AS in has the two exams the week before May half term.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

January mocks are common for year 12 and year 13. RGS do them then.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Thanks for the replies.

I believe DS has decided on 3 of his A levels but his fourth choice seems to change with the wind, or at least with every external speaker he hears or HofD who chats to him. What I do know is that he has no plans to leave the school and, as the boys still take them, he will almost certainly sit AS exams next summer. If there might be January mocks in Y12 and Y13 then it seems we won't be booking any Christmas flights for a while.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My sons school still does ASs in all subjects whether they are continuing them to A level or not.
Mocks for us are just after half term.
We were away at Xmas but six weeks until mocks is enough ( I hope).
My DS quite glad he is doing the old system as he feels for him it will keep momentum up.
Could this thread be moved to sixth form perhaps?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

At DS's school the year 12 exams are before Christmas & the year 13 ones after. I think previously they have been in January, but this year are in the week running up to half term, so not much revision done over Christmas. I suggest you ask the school, or look at this year's school calendar on their website, that should tell you when they are this year.
scary mum
nyr

Post by nyr »

I had already browsed through the school calendar - there doesn't seem to be an effective search facility - for Y12 mocks in December and January (my guess of the typical time) and couldn't find anything. At the suggestion that they may be as late as the February half-term break, I browsed a bit later and found that this academic year, at QE, the Y12 and Y13 mocks are at the start of the summer term. A bit too close to the actual exams, I would have taught, but I guess the school know what they're doing.

Thanks for all the help in getting to the answer.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I remember reading on here about a school having very late mocks a couple of years ago, the theory being that they will have covered more of the syllabus and it will be fresh in their minds, so actually serves to make then=m start their "proper" revision a little earlier. I can see the point but it also is a little late to find out that there are gaps in their knowledge or to make decisions about taking/not taking an AS. DS's school doesn't do any ASs any more, I don't think, except in further maths for those doing 4 A levels who may want to drop FM.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I asked DD about this, and apparently her school do AS mocks in April, shortly after the deadline to withdraw from taking the exam for those that change their mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now