University Admission Tests

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: University Admission Tests

Post by doodles »

Yes, one personal statement for UCAS and it has to cover all five applications.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You only write the one PS to submit as part of your application via UCAS, although Cambridge at least asks for an additional statement as part of its admissions procedure.

Lots of helpful advice on the UCAS website itself, both for applicants
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate
and even their parents and guardians
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/appl ... -guardians

Also re Medicine, see here
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Durham allows you to write a different personal statement to the main one. I think it might be because Oxbridge requires a very academically focussed one, and Durham is a bit more interested in extra curricular stuff. It could be used to apply for a different subject at Durham though

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/uc ... ubstitute/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As an engineer, I’d say that medicine and engineering are very different careers, even if both STEM.

I think your DD is undecided she probably needs a lot more exposure to both in terms of either meeting engineers and/or doctors, more research into what they actually do or better still, some actual work experience (maybe easier for engineering).

I don’t think either should be thought of as a back up choice to the other and a PS reading like that probably won’t go down well.

Most young people I know wanting to go into medicine (and successful at getting in) are the ones very sure it’s what they want. Given what the medical profession is perceived to be like (since I’m not in the medical profession I’m not necessarily a good judge), you really do have to want to do it. From what you are saying your DD doesn’t strike me as being at that point yet.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths would keep dome Engineering and the Medicine options open. And doesn't preclude lots of other things which don't actually stipulate specific subjects (e.g. Architecture in many places - the Maths would be okay for that, anyway. Along with an ability to draw).

Not much use for English Lit or Music, though, if her focus wanders off its current course in either of those directions.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Whoops, hadnt noticed the lack of physics A level in the list. :oops:

Other than chem eng, I think most engineering courses would need physics, but haven’t properly checked the entry requirements for engineering courses other than chem eng for a while.

Tbh I would seriously recommend physics for chem eng (and any others that say you don’t need it) anyway.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

OP does mention Physics in their 3rd post down - I had to scout through to find it before I answered as that had occurred to me too for Engineering, even though it isn’t needed for Medicine!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A lot of Engineering degrees state that maths is compulsory and then list other suggested subjects of which Physics is one. Some do insist on physics (which seems to make sense).
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

Food for thought about the myriad of other ( degree-level) roles within science/medical research etc in the latest BBC Inside Science podcast - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002r6y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Francis Crick Institute is a biomedical discovery institute researching the biology underlying human health. This vital research is carried out by some of the best scientists in their field. However, many, many more people are involved behind the scenes. ‘Craft and Graft’ is a new exhibition at the Francis Crick Institute celebrating these ‘unsung heroes’, and opens on 1 March, focusing the spotlight on the technicians, engineers and support staff that are vital in supporting the scientists and their work by ensuring the glassware is washed, the equipment runs smoothly and the cells are all looked after and categorised correctly. Hannah Fisher was granted special access behind the scenes to meet some of the people who inspired the exhibition.
And don't forget all the other related professions which don't have the same profile as medicine - radiography, cytology, physiotherapy, opthalmology, forensics (although this is over-supplied by keen watchers of CSI for the m=number of jobs available). Try and find out what aspects of science are the real thrill - the practical applications, the cutting-edge research, the tinkering with machinery to solve problems, the categorisation, adding to the pool of knowledge, the field trips to remote places, the "helping people" (at a distance, or hands-on), the lab coats, the vastness of space, saving the planet??
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

hwood wrote:My daughter unable to decide and asking all these questions, I guess its teenage

I know they are completely different fields and she is changing her mind every day, soon she has to tell the school the 6th form subjects

Thank you, is it just one personal statement for all the universities via UCAS, this helps me a lot to make her realise the practical issues

Maybe try and get DC to do some work experience at local firms or GP surgery to make up the mind.

As mentioned for Engineering- Physics is important, and some Medicine schools do prefer biology alongwith the Essential Chemistry.

I think realistically, life will be pretty tough if not taken Biology in A level and have to do Medicine, it is not impossible but surely if studied Biology in A level is beneficial for an intensive course like medicine.

Also, as far as entrance test are concerned do note that Bmat and MAT or similar uni tests are all done on the same day in October so, if a child intends doing multiple Entrance Test the school needs to agree to let them do, and also administer as will take maybe many hours in the day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now