University Admission Tests

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hwood

University Admission Tests

Post by hwood »

Are you allowed to take more than one Uni Admission Tests, say for example, MAT and BMAT/UKCAT? I come across the following link and noticed that for Medicine, majority are asking A Level Chemistry or Biology as compulsory but not both.

https://www.themedicportal.com/applicat ... -a-doctor/

My question, can you keep Medicine as a backup if a desired course at a a particular uni did not get through if you are doing Biology or Chemistry as a 3rd subject? I don't know, if this is practically possible and if you have to write different personal statements?

I am under the impression so far that minimum entry for a medical school both Biology and Chemistry must have taken at A-Level

Please note we have no intention of doing the above but only curious to know.

Thanks
hwood
loobylou

Re: University Admission Tests

Post by loobylou »

I don't quite understand all your question but you've never needed Chemistry and Biology A levels for medicine. Chemistry has historically been required but not Biology. Usually 2 sciences (often chemistry and maths) is preferred plus a third A level.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

loobylou wrote:I don't quite understand all your question but you've never needed Chemistry and Biology A levels for medicine. Chemistry has historically been required but not Biology. Usually 2 sciences (often chemistry and maths) is preferred plus a third A level.
I can't answer your question hwood, but I hope you don't mind me asking Loobylou a question based on her answer. Why is Biology not necessary for medicine? I should have thought that was quite important (no medics in my family so I am genuinely intrigued).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Biology covers human and plant so isn't that in depth. Chemistry is about chemical reactions so useful for how the body reacts itself and then with medication. There are very few Unis who actually currently require Biology for Medicine (I think Cambridge is one) but some recommend it with Chemistry being compulsory. There is a movement to try and make Bioogy compulsory as well....!

OP: You can take the BMAT and UKCAT in the same year - they are completely different style tests though and, ultimately, you still ONLY get 4 choices for Medicine on your UCAS form (the 5th has to be non medicine). Medicine is NOT a back up course. You either want to study Medicine or you don't there is no in between - but you can apply for something like Biomedical Science as your 5th option as there is sometme (but rarely) the opportunity to progress to Medicine from that. Your personal statement needs to be very Medicine focussed - not least because the content needs to inform your ability to interview well as to why you would be a good Medic (in terms of what you have learned from your work experience).
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you KCG. I really thought Biology was necessary but, as I say, no one is into medicine in my family (unless you include the odd pain killer :wink: ) Sorry hwood for hijacking your thread to ask a question.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
loobylou wrote:I don't quite understand all your question but you've never needed Chemistry and Biology A levels for medicine. Chemistry has historically been required but not Biology. Usually 2 sciences (often chemistry and maths) is preferred plus a third A level.
I can't answer your question hwood, but I hope you don't mind me asking Loobylou a question based on her answer. Why is Biology not necessary for medicine? I should have thought that was quite important (no medics in my family so I am genuinely intrigued).
I didn't know there was a move to make biology more of a preferences for some courses. I think it's because biology is much broader - lots of plants and animals - and there's a lot of chemistry in pre-clinical medicine which is a lot about what's going on at a molecular level rather than a broader level. I did do biology and don't recall it being of any benefit. Maths and Chemistry were very useful and I found my Latin O level quite useful too!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you loobylou. I had just assumed Biology was a must; my mistake. I can see how Latin could be helpful though :D
I just like to understand things in case DS throws me a curve ball!
hwood

Post by hwood »

kenyancowgirl - Thank you, really useful
BucksBornNBred - Same assumption here too
loobylou - Thank you

I still have few more questions and need some help in understanding how a backup works - please see below a scenario as an example.

1. AS Level options: Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry with an intention of dropping Biology onto A Level
2. Possible career choices with the three: Engineering, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Medicine (found today)
3. Lets assume, had high hopes for Engineering at Imperial, but would like to have Medicine as a backup choice
4. Being confident on achieving AAA and reasonable good BMAT/UKCAT score, applies for another Uni to do Medicine

The questions I have:

A. If the above is possible, are we allowed to submit different Personal Statements to each University we apply through UCAS?
B. It looks like as per kenyancowgirl view "its either medicine or no medicine" and it cannot be a Backup, assuming all the relevant work experience is also taken in consideration

Thnaks
hwood
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'll let those in the know answer the rest of your post, but you only have one UCAS statement.
Engineering and medicine are very different, presumably he is leaning in one direction or the other?
scary mum
hwood

Post by hwood »

My daughter unable to decide and asking all these questions, I guess its teenage

I know they are completely different fields and she is changing her mind every day, soon she has to tell the school the 6th form subjects

Thank you, is it just one personal statement for all the universities via UCAS, this helps me a lot to make her realise the practical issues
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now