Is it too late to drop a subject and do it as an AS level ?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clueless_mum

Is it too late to drop a subject and do it as an AS level ?

Post by Clueless_mum »

Hello all, thank you for all the advise on my previous question regarding DD's various problems. After a lot of convincing DD has now decided to drop Economics and carry on with the the Maths, F.Maths and Physics at A level. She starts with her year 13 in September so my question is that is it too late now to do Economics as an AS level? She says her friends that wished to drop a subject have already taken the AS level exam for those subjects and now it may be too late for her. She also has changed her mind about Economics and has decided to do Accounts and Finance at Uni but wants to show that she has done Economics at AS level... Do schools allow dropping a subject at this stage? Can she take the AS exam for Economics?
Tia
2childmum

Re: Is it too late to drop a subject and do it as an AS leve

Post by 2childmum »

AS exams happen in May/June, so she wouldn't be able to take it until next year, alongside her full A levels. She would have to try and keep on top of the subject throughout this year, which would be quite difficult, and I suspect the school would not recommend it (or even allow it).

Different schools have different policies re dropping subjects - and some may only allow Further Maths as a 4th A level, although with the new exams I've heard of far more schools allowing FM as the 3rd A level (including DD who is doing FM as her 3rd A level). There are a couple of unis that won't accept FM as a 3rd A level, but almost all those DD has looked at are quite happy.

She needs to ask her school about their policy.
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

Thank you 2childmum, we will email the school and ask but even if she isn't allowed to take the AS can she still drop the subject?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Only the school can tell you that - each school will have it's own policy
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Since AS counts for nothing now, I would be thinking along the lines of my DC dropping out of the course-if the school didn't allow it, I would be in there saying her grades in the other subjects will be lower and her mental health is being affected. If I was not speaking to the school myself as her parent/guardian for whatever reason, I would be advising my DC to take their foot off the accelerator for that subject and to leave all work for that to last. Prioritize the other subjects.

I don't say this is the best approach but it's what I would do.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, AS doesn't 'count for nothing'. No doubt we all assume that none of our DC will be applying for the kind of university that frames its offers in terms of UCAS tariff points rather than A level grades, but for many thousands of applicants, their achievement in an actual AS exam, in a subject which they do not pursue to A level rather than just dropping it at the end of year 12, may mean the difference between a place and no place. You get no points for the score in your school's end of year exam.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

Not hoping for much from her underfunded, cold, super-selective school that only cares about grades and makes a child feel bad if they seem to slip a bit. DD will now go ahead with her 3 options and EPQ instead of the 4 and feeling better already..