A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: A levels 2021

Post by Tinkers »

Most of DDs offers were much the same. One was very much later than the rest as it was as new course being offered and they needed to get it accredited. In the end they decided not to run it and offered DD on the standard course. She was only really interested in that uni for the new course, and it became her insurance, even though it was the same offer as her first choice.

However her first choice reduced her offer by one grade once she firmed them which lowered it to lower than her insurance.

Only one would formally give an alternative offer that would include her EPQ.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

KS10 wrote:I think, though not 100% certain, that Chemistry is one of the important subjects for medicine.

What does your DS want to do?
I think you are right. Chemistry is a crucial subject with some also asking for Biology. But why would they do 4A levels and a 5th A level too. I thought it is usually 3 and rarely 4!!!

How sad for the girl. A year at the age of 17/18 is a long time.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

wildwest wrote:
KS10 wrote:I think, though not 100% certain, that Chemistry is one of the important subjects for medicine.

What does your DS want to do?
I think you are right. Chemistry is a crucial subject with some also asking for Biology. But why would they do 4A levels and a 5th A level too. I thought it is usually 3 and rarely 4!!!
To apply for Medicine, Chemistry is a must have subject and usually is the one that require A* if A* is part of the minimum requirement. For any student considering doing both than 3 A levels, they should only doing it if it is considered there is a high possibility of achieving A*. A*A*A* would be better than A*A*AA.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-m ... quirements

Entry requirements (2021) for all UK medical schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks for sharing.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

How's everyone doing?
I'm so pleased they're back to school the week after next. DD probably would have preferred exams just so she could feel she tells knew she had proved she could get the results - but the reality is that she will be ok and everyone's in the same boat.
I'm feeling so sorry for her friends who've applied for medicine. This year has been so so tough for them and they're all still waiting for any offers to come through.
I hope everyone is managing ok.
nyr

Post by nyr »

I think it'll be good for DS to get back into a more normal routine and he's keen to return to school. He does feel they've steamed through the A level syllabus and, since there won't be final exams, they'll wrap up fairly quickly and he's already trying to figure out when they will leave Y13 and start enjoying the traditional long summer before university. He still has to sit a couple of entrance exam papers for his first choice but the dates, normally sometime in June, haven't been finalised because of covid and could mess up any holiday plans that might be brewing. I just hope there'll be some normality in his final teenage years.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Good luck tomorrow everybody. I know it's been a tricky year for everyone but I hope that there is good news for people tomorrow.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

loobylou wrote:Good luck tomorrow everybody. I know it's been a tricky year for everyone but I hope that there is good news for people tomorrow.
goodness me ! is it that time of the year already?? Really hope everyone gets good news and the youngsters enjoy the next stage of their education.

waiting for the results reminds me of 6 years ago when I was "anxious" about one of the family's impending results and dear Sally-Anne was also waiting for her son's results - 0600 mad messages, playing candy crush and trying to stay calm until track opened,she was a great support
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

She always was, particularly at such times :(
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now