A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nyr

Re: A levels 2021

Post by nyr »

Hope they get what they hoped for and are able to move to the next stage.

We have the wait again in 2 days, for DD's GCSE results.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Us too!
DD going to her first choice uni so she's happy.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Congratulations to your DD!

Early this morning it looked a bit dicey as DS was a mark down on the offer grade for one of the 2 entrance exams papers but did well on the other. The university must have taken the balance and DS will also join a large group of friends at his 1st choice. Though he does have a slog ahead, as they teach 6 days a week in the first year. :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

nyr wrote:Congratulations to your DD!

Early this morning it looked a bit dicey as DS was a mark down on the offer grade for one of the 2 entrance exams papers but did well on the other. The university must have taken the balance and DS will also join a large group of friends at his 1st choice. Though he does have a slog ahead, as they teach 6 days a week in the first year. :lol:
Excellent news but goodness me - 6 days a week?? where is that ?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

nyr wrote:Congratulations to your DD!

They will be going together then! But my dd's subject does not do Saturdays!!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

And congrats to your son. It sounds as though the exams have been quite brutal this year.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Congratulations to your dc, loobylou and nyr.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Thanks all.

This is for maths at Camb and the applicants know they have their work cut out. Most university entrance exams are early in Y13 but STEP exams were in June and the students had to work their socks off, acquiring relevant knowledge and skills for several more months than friends with offers for other courses.

The interviews were brutal and I get the impression they like to do that to all candidates for all courses. The later exams were a slog, especially so when friends were enjoying the end of their A levels.

Not so much going together as only 3 doing maths but several friends on other STEM, humanities and languages courses and a friend taking a year out is doing an internship with a startup in the area. All very down to earth lads who, along with students like your DD, will help to chip away at some of the more traditional image.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes it is tough - not sure what they did this year but they used to make twice as many offers as they had places and then were brutal on the STEP and A levels. Hope all goes OK there and they enjoy it - I had someone work for me who did the part I tripos (got a first) then did medicine, great employee but scared some future ones ++
nyr

Post by nyr »

Yes, twice as many offers as places, with STEP and A levels for the final filtering, so it did look doubtful when DS missed the grade on STEP 2 by a mark. I think his performance on STEP 3, with arguably the more advanced material, probably helped in the rescue.

Hopefully the university experience will be a little kinder to DS and his maths friends than it may have been to your colleague, HM.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now