A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueBerry22

Re: A levels 2021

Post by BlueBerry22 »

DC's school got their act together and submitted UCAS on Tues - offer back yesterday from one uni - nothing to write home about but it does at least begin to feel tangible.

Having had 4 weeks of self isolation this term I am hoping (probably unrealistically) that next term will be better.

Hope the interviews have been going well.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, apparently 4 offers here now, but apart from the ABBs from UEA and Sussex, no idea what. I have suggested that actually logging in to Track to find out what York and Birmingham are actually offering him might be a good idea, if only to put the rest of us out of our misery :roll:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nyr

Post by nyr »

Even if it's not exactly from DC's top choice, I agree it's encouraging to get the offer(s) in.

DS has 3 offers: his 2nd , 4th and 5th choices. 4th and 5th were very quick off the mark. He knew 2nd would be before mid-Jan and that he'd have to wait a while for 1st and 3rd choice institutions. The problem he'll have is that the offer grades are high and quite close to each other, leaving little room for error. On the plus side, they've not specified a minimum grade for the 4th A level, so far, at least.

One of DS' pals has been told he'll receive an offer from his first choice without having to interview. Clever lad be he.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Feeling sorry for DD’s friend. She decided to sit Chemistry in October as she was awarded a B by her school (other grades were three A* and an A) and wants to do medicine. The school refused to predict her an A saying it was unrealistic so has no offers. Of course she got an A* so is probably going to wait another year. I think I’m more annoyed than she is.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Rotten of the school to have wasted so much of her time, but well done to her for the grade and the perseverance.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It’s all the more impressive as she has other responsibilities too. It’s one of those times when I wish she / the parents were just a little bit pushy.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

nyr wrote:Even if it's not exactly from DC's top choice, I agree it's encouraging to get the offer(s) in.

DS has 3 offers: his 2nd , 4th and 5th choices. 4th and 5th were very quick off the mark. He knew 2nd would be before mid-Jan and that he'd have to wait a while for 1st and 3rd choice institutions. The problem he'll have is that the offer grades are high and quite close to each other, leaving little room for error. On the plus side, they've not specified a minimum grade for the 4th A level, so far, at least.

One of DS' pals has been told he'll receive an offer from his first choice without having to interview. Clever lad be he.
There are very few uni/courses that will specify a grade for the fourth A level, even when someone is taking a fourth. It might be taken into account if on results days one other grade is narrowly missed.
DDs offers were all based on 3. Only one offered an official alternative offer of three plus the EPQ. None took into account her AS level. All said if someone narrowly missed their offer they would look at other factors like EPQ, ASs and PS. Two of her friends took 4 A levels and neither of them got offered based on 4, only 3.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

KS10 wrote:Feeling sorry for DD’s friend. She decided to sit Chemistry in October as she was awarded a B by her school (other grades were three A* and an A) and wants to do medicine. The school refused to predict her an A saying it was unrealistic so has no offers. Of course she got an A* so is probably going to wait another year. I think I’m more annoyed than she is.
What a shame. My DS has lost out on his university place too due to CAGs and went up two grades in the Autumn exams.

I am surprise she did not get any medicine offers with A*A*A*A achieved and B pending.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think, though not 100% certain, that Chemistry is one of the important subjects for medicine.

What does your DS want to do?
nyr

Post by nyr »

Tinkers, that's interesting with regards to the 4th A level.

His 2nd and 4th choices have made exactly the same offer and 5th is slightly lower. Let's see if 1st and 3rd come through, otherwise he has to think very carefully about his insurance. OH is at 5th and DS somewhat reluctantly applied because it's good, but it would be awkward to say the least. Different department, BTW, and definitely not a reason for the lower offer, as it's their standard.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now