Pondering. Sciences Vs Humanities

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Pondering. Sciences Vs Humanities

Post by tiffinboys »

It would be interesting to review the degrees of all those who govern us. Boris read Classics at Oxford. Mrs Thatcher read Chemistry at Oxford. Cameron did PPE at Oxford.
Tony Blair and Theresa May.....

And Jeremy Corbyn seems to be in with no chance. :wink:
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Daogroupie wrote:My dd was the only person in the top maths set not to do A level Maths.

Several parents told me I should have forced her to do it as she was good at it.

Other parents told me that A level Music was not a real subject and why wasn't she doing proper subjects like the sciences?

There is belief among many parents that Maths and the Sciences are the real Mccoy and any other subject is just an also ran.

Also that a student should study the most academic A levels open to them.

The school left the students free to make their own choice but plenty of parents had lots to say about the choices of other students.

It would be interesting to review the degrees of all those who govern us. Boris read Classics at Oxford. Mrs Thatcher read Chemistry at Oxford. Cameron did PPE at Oxford.

What degrees do those who are considered to be the most successful in society have?

Is success a really rewarding job or a really high salary or hopefully both?

Does a certain combination of A levels increase the chances of Uni offers?

DC
Other than Thatcher, most PMs and other prominent MPs tend to do humanities, law or social sciences I think. Boris did Classics, May -Geography, Cameron PPE, Brown - History, Blair - Law. Make of that what you will... :wink:

Most respected traditional professions are probably still medicine (sort of sciencey I suppose), law, architecture.

People who make a lot of money tend to have backgrounds in economics, business, finance and these days maybe IT (some maths involved in these although its more competent numeracy than high level complex mathematics IMO).

Most revered by the general population are often sports stars, musicians, actors, entertainers.

On the other hand engineers in this country (unfairly IMO) are generally less admired than doctors and lawyers and viewed as less glamorous than advertising and marketing. Physicists and Chemists are often dismissed as nerds, boffins etc.

So really not sure why everyone wants their children to go into physical sciences... :?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And then again, architecture has the most unemployed graduates and Geography graduates are the most employable....

Parents should not push their children to do science or humanities - they should encourage their children to follow the path they enjoy. High wages do not float everyone's boat, but being happy in your career is very important.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

So really not sure why everyone wants their children to go into physical sciences... :?
Perceived job security may be.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

On the other hand engineers in this country (unfairly IMO) are generally less admired than doctors and lawyers and viewed as less glamorous than advertising and marketing.

From an engineer, thank you.

Doesn’t help when anyone and their dog thinks they can call themselves an engineer. I think it the title had a protected status like elsewhere in the world, it would help our cause hugely. Until then some people seem to think that as an engineer I fix washing machines and do plumbing. Now I can do some of that, and have a lot of respect for those who do that sort of job and do it far better than me. However I do resent having spent several years at university getting an engineering degree and a few more years after getting chartered, when anyone things they can refer to themselves as an engineer.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Recently 2 engineers visited us. One Communications Engineer to fix problems with Sky network and other Installation Engineer to replace old cooker with new one.

Yes, what used to be technician, is now an Engineer.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

tiffinboys wrote:Recently 2 engineers visited us. One Communications Engineer to fix problems with Sky network and other Installation Engineer to replace old cooker with new one.

Yes, what used to be technician, is now an Engineer.
Except they should not be called engineers. They are still technicians. Herein lies the problem.

Big part of the reason we struggle to get people into the profession.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Agree.

And we often need the services of Plumbing Engineer, not a plumber any more. Perhaps by tilting themselves Engineer, they could charge more.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Surferfish wrote: most PMs and other prominent MPs tend to do humanities, law or social sciences I think. Boris did Classics, May -Geography, Cameron PPE, Brown - History, Blair - Law. Make of that what you will... :wink:
Far be it from me to suggest that a degree in the humanities or social sciences better prepares its graduates for a career which requires the ability to waffle, obfuscate, evade, backtrack and generally bullsh** , rather than a degree in science which teaches people to report the truth based on facts and evidence... :wink: :mrgreen:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think that definition would fit quite a few degrees, notably History, not just ones in the Sciences. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now