Oxbridge 2020 interview

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Oxbridge 2020 interview

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:
KS10 wrote:I have actually been discussing this with Amber :D.
Well tell her she needs to reply to my message
Done. :-)
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DS is still waiting to hear from Oxford ( Hertford Geography).
Are we the only ones yet to hear?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think people are still finding out.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know several waiting for Oxford.

Oxford finishes on Friday so all focus will go on organising the interviews then. Dg
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

KS10 wrote:Tbh, having seen others’ grades and read the article, I don’t think the system has been unfair towards DD. It’s a pity she didn’t get the interview experience she really craved but, beyond that, I’m not sure how she would have coped. I mean, a year ago she was adamant that university wasn’t for her and the year before that no one would have guessed that she would be highlighted as someone who’d made significant progress. I asked her how long it took her to get over the ‘no’ and she said ‘a day’. Had her grades been as good as those mentioned above, it might have been a different story. The 6 really ruined her grade sheet :lol:.

I have heard of many reapplying a year later and getting in but I personally know of just one who was successful the second time round. Good luck to all those still waiting and to those who are determined to have another go. DD will think about what she wants to do after the results are out. And in the meantime there’s a lovely gap year on the horizon.
Oxbridge isn't necessarily good for everyone.

My DD spend most of her time at Cambridge saying that going there had been a mistake.

Mostly because its hard work, and Marking for her subject, Engineering, is done on a Bell Curve so you're in effect competing with everyone else on the course. At the end of every year she was terrified she hadn't done well enough in the end of year exams and would be kicked out (no retakes).
That aside the supervision system was a good way of making sure you do and understand the work.

Dispute that she made her way through and got a job she is happy with although she still think she may have done better elsewhere.

Interestingly where she currently works avoids taking on Oxbridge graduates with high grades as they fear they wont keep them.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SteveDH wrote:
KS10 wrote:Tbh, having seen others’ grades and read the article, I don’t think the system has been unfair towards DD. It’s a pity she didn’t get the interview experience she really craved but, beyond that, I’m not sure how she would have coped. I mean, a year ago she was adamant that university wasn’t for her and the year before that no one would have guessed that she would be highlighted as someone who’d made significant progress. I asked her how long it took her to get over the ‘no’ and she said ‘a day’. Had her grades been as good as those mentioned above, it might have been a different story. The 6 really ruined her grade sheet :lol:.

I have heard of many reapplying a year later and getting in but I personally know of just one who was successful the second time round. Good luck to all those still waiting and to those who are determined to have another go. DD will think about what she wants to do after the results are out. And in the meantime there’s a lovely gap year on the horizon.
Oxbridge isn't necessarily good for everyone.

My DD spend most of her time at Cambridge saying that going there had been a mistake.

Mostly because its hard work, and Marking for her subject, Engineering, is done on a Bell Curve so you're in effect competing with everyone else on the course. At the end of every year she was terrified she hadn't done well enough in the end of year exams and would be kicked out (no retakes).
That aside the supervision system was a good way of making sure you do and understand the work.

Dispute that she made her way through and got a job she is happy with although she still think she may have done better elsewhere.

Interestingly where she currently works avoids taking on Oxbridge graduates with high grades as they fear they wont keep them.
I would agree with you that Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all for even all those who think it is, for them, let alone generally- but I'm not sure that avoiding taking on Oxbridge graduates with high grades as they fear they wont keep them. isn't a whole lot different from not taking on the best qualified candidate, because they happen to woman of childbearing age, in case she gets pregnant and doesn't come back from maternity leave?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Two forms of discrimination are mentioned above. One form (against women) is illegal, the other (against Oxbridge graduates) is not.
That is discrimination.
State sponsored discrimination.
Loopy
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Loopyloulou wrote:Two forms of discrimination are mentioned above. One form (against women) is illegal, the other (against Oxbridge graduates) is not.
That is discrimination.
State sponsored discrimination.
Well it's not state sponsored unless she's working for the government or in some sort of public sector employment where that's the recommendation for employers.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Anyone else still waiting....
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Finally heard and no interview.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now