A level choices, French or Further Maths

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: A level choices, French or Further Maths

Post by Tinkers »

Not doing FM won’t hinder her doing engineering, especially if doing maths, physics and chemistry. It just helps a lot and if she is sure that she wanted to do engineering it’s very worthwhile choosing it.
However it doesn’t mean other subjects aren’t worth doing instead, even for engineering.

I think most engineers (including me, actually especially me) might have benefited from doing essay subjects even though I wouldn’t have any good at them and would have hated it. I still had to write essays at uni as part of my degree.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DS1 is an engineer and did A Levels in Maths, Physics and Design Tech (dropped Business Studies after a year) plus the Engineering Education Scheme and Year in Industry. Before starting his degree he also did an extra maths module provided by the Year in Industry people which was specifically designed to help those without F Maths get some extra input - not sure if this is still available but it was very helpful at the time
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for your replies.

Tinkers, I think you are probably right about doing an essay subject. it is just that you have only 3-4 A levels to choose and there are so many options. Eliminating those options at this stage of life is bit early.

My DD also likes history but it wouldn't combine well with other subjects and not sure if A level history is hard?

solimum, that is encouraging. Can I ask which subject/uni your DS did his engineering? was it hard to get in?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS1 is doing engineering and is the only person in his friendship group with further maths. He decided to cover the essay writing side of things by doing an non related EPQ. While interesting for him, it didn't help with his applications as it wasn't related (but did show that he had another side to him).
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS1 is doing engineering and is the only person in his friendship group with further maths. He decided to cover the essay writing side of things by doing an non related EPQ. While interesting for him, it didn't help with his applications as it wasn't related (but did show that he had another side to him).
scary mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Why the posts are being posted twice? On quite a few threads; system error?
solimum

Post by solimum »

berks_mum wrote:
solimum, that is encouraging. Can I ask which subject/uni your DS did his engineering? was it hard to get in?
This was (gulp) 12 years ago - it was Leicester, a general 4-year mechanical engineering degree. He did a deferred entry (i.e. applied before his year in industry plus travel) and his place was confirmed despite less than top-notch A level results. He stayed on to do a PhD at Leicester and still lives there
copella

Post by copella »

Just to add my son is doing chem eng at Notts. He took maths, chem and geog A levels. He was offered places at all unis he applied for. I think good gcse grades, predictions and a keen interest and having done some extra curricula stuff and study days helped. No further maths asked for chem eng. So not all eng degrees require it.
copella

Post by copella »

Just to add my son is doing chem eng at Notts. He took maths, chem and geog A levels. He was offered places at all unis he applied for. I think good gcse grades, predictions and a keen interest and having done some extra curricula stuff and study days helped. No further maths asked for chem eng. So not all eng degrees require it.