Contextual offers

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Contextual offers

Post by stroudydad »

Certainly this is not our experience with Merton college. Many of DCs fresher friends are from state schools and with fairly working class backgrounds. Honestly, sitting next to a maths fellow and having a quite in depth chat about admissions at formal last week, it was quite apparent that they don’t care where they come from, but they had better be good at maths.. (or any other subject) he was quite forthright actually that they want to get to pick the best, and the best don’t only come from upper class backgrounds.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which formal was that? Tuesday or Thursday? Tuesday was the very lovely beef goulash, exceptional value for four pounds.

The best certainly do not all come from upper class backgrounds but many of the best do not actually apply.

All but one of the 30 choral scholarships in Merton choir are held by students from private schools.

Only one of the Merton classics students is from state school.

Great to hear things in the Maths department are different.

The lovely Maths Professor Kim from Korea would certainly be keen to have as many state school students as possible.

Lets hope there are plenty more in all departments this year. There needs to be more.

Back to contextual offers. Those attending Sutton trust Summer schools also get the opportunity of a contextual offer depending on the quality of the work done during the week. DG
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Sorry, forgive my ignorance, but do parents get invited to formals? I’m trying to picture DS inviting me to one of his ... no, not even the vaguest hint of an image forming.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

KS10 wrote:Sorry, forgive my ignorance, but do parents get invited to formals? I’m trying to picture DS inviting me to one of his ... no, not even the vaguest hint of an image forming.
I think it depends entirely on your child and the college. DS is fairly lucky that Merton do formals 6 days a week (as well as early supper). The one we were at was specially arranged for freshers and parents,
But DC’s grandparents are currently at college with him to go to formal tonight.
:-)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

DG,
Son is actually a biology student and I believe they are all state schoolers. I was sat next to Prof. Radek Erban. (Excuse if my spelling is wrong).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I hope some of them are going to the Ball on Saturday. They only happen every four years so if he is going he should make the most of it. Shame for the Choir that it is on the same day as the Christmas Carol Service in the Chapel which is repeated on Sunday as it is popular.

If you ever consider attending that be prepared to queue for an hour outside in the cold and stand for the whole service if you don't get there early enough.

Just one week of term left as all Oxbridge students have to vacate for the students coming for the interviews.

The Economics interviews at Cambridge just came out. I know students who have Natural Science on 9th. Still waiting for Physics at Oxford. DG
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi DG,
Yes he and his friends are all at the ball tomorrow, he’s looking forward to it.(though he’s doing 4 years so will get a second chance) And yes must vacate by 10am Saturday. I love a good carol service so may well attend next year.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Daogroupie wrote: Just one week of term left as all Oxbridge students have to vacate for the students coming for the interviews.

The Economics interviews at Cambridge just came out. I know students who have Natural Science on 9th. Still waiting for Physics at Oxford. DG
DS is at Cambridge and his course finishes on 3 December but he is staying until 12 December to help the students coming for interviews :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
Daogroupie wrote: Just one week of term left as all Oxbridge students have to vacate for the students coming for the interviews.

DS is at Cambridge and his course finishes on 3 December but he is staying until 12 December to help the students coming for interviews :D
Ds is home on 7th, starts christmas job on 8th. :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Please could we stay on track for the topic: Contextual Offers, as this thread seems to have derailed to parents of Oxbridge students... :shock: