EPQs

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Middlesexmum

EPQs

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd has just found out that she hasn't been selected to do an EPQ. I had no idea that the number of students doing one is limited. Is this usual in schools?

Out of 200 ish, 50 were selected to do an EPQ.

Dd has mixed feelings about not being selected; she is a bit disappointed but on the other hand, it's a lot of work on top of her A Levels.

How much value does an EPQ have? Is it worth doing one independently?
fairyelephant

Re: EPQs

Post by fairyelephant »

I wonder if it depends on the subject you are applying to uni for? None of the information DD gleaned at open days suggested that it would be considered or offered on. I can imagine if you are applying for law, for example, not having studied it at A level, that it might be useful to demonstrate interest, but again unlikely to be offered on. I was quite glad DD chose not to do one. DS is doing one but I fear the workload will overcome him at some point.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Absolutely not.

Dd1 did an EPQ.

Dd2 was not selected to do one and it was a real blessing as she already had History and Geography coursework and a composition to write from scratch in Music.

One of the Heads of Department told me that EPQ's had been the reason why some students had ended up losing their Uni offers in August as they spent far too much time on it.

I am sure it is very positive for a student who is well ahead in all of their A levels but for those who slip behind it can become a real time drain. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is doing an EPQ. They do need support from a teacher I thing as DD as regular meetings with hers. They don’t need to be knowledgable about the subject though.

Her school also select a certain number, not all those wanting to do it get to. I suspect down to the number of teachers available to support students.

She has enjoyed it so far and it reflects her choice of uni degree course, so was good to put in her PS.

At least One of her uni choices gives slightly lower offers if a EPQ is also offered, eg one asked for A*AA, but lowers this to AAA with an A in EPQ as well. Others have said that of students don’t quite meet their offer, then they will look at other factors to see whether they will still offer the a place, doing an EPQ is one of them, along with the PS.

However I don’t see it as the be all and end all. DD has Eng Lit coursework and her work in her EPQ has stalled at the moment due to that. Thankfully her A level mocks are in feb, so she will spend time over Christmas on it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Any student who wants to do an EPQ in our school, can do one. If a student has a real interest in a topic then it can be an interesting thing to do. However, it is a lot of work to get a decent grade and, frankly, anything lower than an A/A* is not going to have any impact on uni offers. The vast majority of DS1s year didn’t do one and the vast majority have started in university. DS2 has no interest in doing one and will use the time to do things that have as much value to him.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Anyone at my DS school can do an EOQ.
Most don’t and of those that do most I have spoken to regretted it.
They reported it being much more work than they had anticipated.
My DS was really glad he didn’t do one.
In my opinion A levels are enough.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD hasn't done an EPQ, but instead did a couple of MOOCs related to her course, and read a couple of journal articles which tied in with the MOOC she did, so had plenty to write about in her PS without it taking up a lot of time. She has offers from all 5 unis she applied to.
bravado

Post by bravado »

DD tells me that in her school, not everyone who applies to do an EPQ gets selected. Her school do them in YR12 and it's all completed by the beginning of April. It took up so much of her time last academic year and I can see why it's so stressful for YR 13 students.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think an EPQ needs to be something DC want to do, not something to try to improve chances for Uni applications (actually I think that of everything :wink: ).
DD1 loved hers, she did not find it too much work despite doing 4 A levels (old system) 2 of which were essay subjects BUT she had finished it by autumn of Y13 so most of the legwork was in Y12. That said if it was something she was doing for any reason other than it was something she really wanted to do, (incidentally completely unrelated to her A levels or degree) then I think it would have been a slog. Certainly some of her classmates ran close to deadlines and it became a total pain for them.
I don't think it made any difference to her Uni applications but once there she found the referencing systems, lit reviews and project management of extended essays and her dissertation easier to get to grips with as she had already experienced the format and style of this type of work.
OP, if DC is dead set on doing one then I would suggest she would need someone to mentor her every couple of months to make sure she understands what is required and can get feedback on progress so far etc. But if there are other things she is interested in then go ahead with them instead, she will not be any the worse for it.
mad?
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you all. So it sounds like it's just as well she wasn't selected. She's on track to get top grades so better to put all her focus into her A Levels.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now