Oxbridge Decision Outcome 2020

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bravado

Re: Oxbridge Decision Outcome 2020

Post by bravado »

Congrats to those who got offers.

It's the same sort of scenario at DD's SS school - complete shock at who didn't get in ie full house of level 9's, A* EPQ's already awarded and 4 A* "A" Level predictions, plus supercurricular courses and qualifications on their chosen degree subject. It certainly makes you wonder what else you need to do? It's a lottery I know, but... :?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Well done to those who secured an offer.

I have heard that Cambridge will be making a decision about two students at the end of the month. I’ve also been told that Oxford interviewed a student on the 14th and made an offer the same day. I honestly don’t know if DD has misunderstood what she’s been told or if this is quite normal. Interesting though.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Reading Mum wrote:My daughter has just received an offer from Clare for vet med.
Now she has some decisions to make as she really likes Liverpool too and she also holds an offer from them. I think she has held off choosing a preference in case there wasn't a choice to make.
Hearty Congratulations to your DD. Well done!!! Excellent news.

Time has gone so fast. It feels just Yesterday I was asking you about 11plus and moving to Reading.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS has received a letter today from the college that rejected him. I know it's only feedback but looking at it sitting on the window ledge is killing me :lol: Unfortunately he won't be in until 10pm :shock:

Joking aside, it will hopefully answer some questions for him.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

That’s tough. I’d be dying to open it too.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Interesting to hear other similar stories re Oxford offers.
I wonder if the pressure could be eased by restricting the number of overseas applicants?
For most UK students it’s not possible to go to uni abroad because of the student loans situation.
There are enough talented UK candidates to fill the places.
What I am waiting to find out is if private schools have had the same drop in Oxford offers as grammars.
14 interviewed at one Sutton school and no offers is unprecedented in my memory at least having lived here for over 25 years.
Seems like the same story from everyone on here. Big drops in Oxford offers with Cambridge being down but not quite so much.
I think grammar school candidates may be put off from applying to Oxford next year.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

9 Oxford offers, 6 Cambridge offers so 15 in total versus 17 last year. Not significant enough to say our Grammar School has been penalised as this years A level cohort performed slightly worse than last years A level cohort and also worse than next years A level cohort. Last years A level and GCSE results were the best ever in the school, so 17 offers last year was very good and 15 from an arguably weaker cohort is also good.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That letter was really quick. Doodles

I hope it does answer some questions for him.

Trinity Cambridge has over 50% overseas students and there are so many now at Oxford that they have their own freshers week the week before the general one. Not sure if that is also true of Cambridge. DG
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Moon unit wrote: What I am waiting to find out is if private schools have had the same drop in Oxford offers as grammars.
Yes , they seem to have! Our local super selective indie with great track record with Oxbridge has had 1 offer after a number of interviews. These are students with the top accolades again.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

KS10 wrote:Well done to those who secured an offer.

I have heard that Cambridge will be making a decision about two students at the end of the month. I’ve also been told that Oxford interviewed a student on the 14th and made an offer the same day. I honestly don’t know if DD has misunderstood what she’s been told or if this is quite normal. Interesting though.
The Cambridge story appears not to be the case for one of them at least.