Oxbridge Decision Outcome 2020

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: Oxbridge Decision Outcome 2020

Post by mad? »

Tinkers wrote:At that time unis and polys knew who else you’d applied to and you had to place them in your order of preference. I seem to remember some institutions not liking it if you didn’t put them first.
Oh yes,I remember that :oops: . Whilst in theory you could apply anywhere, in practice having to list your preference in order meant there was no point (depending course) putting down Durham and Bristol, or Oxford and Cambridge etc, as they would only consider you if 1st preference was given.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mad? wrote:
Tinkers wrote:At that time unis and polys knew who else you’d applied to and you had to place them in your order of preference. I seem to remember some institutions not liking it if you didn’t put them first.
Oh yes,I remember that :oops: . Whilst in theory you could apply anywhere, in practice having to list your preference in order meant there was no point (depending course) putting down Durham and Bristol, or Oxford and Cambridge etc, as they would only consider you if 1st preference was given.
Yes, there must be a few institutions which mourn the passing of the old system :lol:.

Bristol possibly compensates in some way by having an accommodation application system in which some halls of residence can only be listed at all if indicated as first preference.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

tiffinboys wrote:May be they thought you were never going to join them, given your predicted grades and other courses you applied to, and ‘saved’ the place for one more likely to join them.
Probably but the other three gave me offers, one actually interviewed me. At the interview they said whilst they would give me the standard offer of DDD they’d still probably accept me with EE.

They all probably assumed I wasn’t likely to go.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is one exception.

Those applying for Organ Scholarships are allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.

DG
doodles

Post by doodles »

Daogroupie wrote:There is one exception.

Those applying for Organ Scholarships are allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.

DG
Unlikely to.be overrun with applicants though!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed!

And that is why.

DG
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:Couldn’t the same arguments be put forward for any university. For example for medicine degree. Whether one study it at Cambridge or Imperial or UCL. One of DC friends has offer from 3 MED schools, waiting for decision from fourth. No one is stopped from applying to more than one med school.

Why applications only either for Oxford or Cambridge?
I don't think it is likely at this moment. Oxford & Cambridge is different to all others universities in the UK including Imperial, UCL & LSE etc, hence the term Oxbridge. In this instance we are talking about University and not subject such as Medicine & Law. I think this is also a smart idea from Oxbridge; "Let the candidates and their advisers to do the research and make up their mind as to which to choose from Oxbridge if the subject is available at both". Although Oxbridge have very similar entry requirements, teaching style and history, the preparation for entry assessment, selection criteria for interview, the interview process and the pooling system are different. Hence it is not easy to always get it right for a particular applicant.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Also I imagine that currently 95+% of people who get an offer at either Cambridge or Oxford accept that offer and make it their firm choice.
If students were allowed to apply to both then the university wouldn't have a clue who wanted them over the other. So they would need to massively offer-offer and risk having huge bulge years (without accommodation for them) or smaller sink years (without as much money as normal).
I know other universities manage but presumably they have years of data and experience to help - plus most of them don't have as high an acceptance rate from students.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If students were allowed to apply to both then the university wouldn't have a clue who wanted them over the other.
It's true for anyone who has two or more offers. The offering universities would have no clue until offeree firm up a place. My DC and most of his friends have as many as 3 or more offers already. What would be different for Oxbridge?

And isn't it wrong to assume that any one who receive an Oxbridge offer would firm it?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Loobylou didn't say that any one who receives an Oxbridge offer would firm it...she said 95%+ which is about right. Very few students go through the entire Oxbridge application/interview/offer process and then turn the place down. 5% is probably being generous, and Oxbridge Colleges know this - they invest a lot of time in trying to identify whether they think these very academic students are a good fit for their college - and the students get a good idea of what they are setting themselves up for - any that have doubts usually pull out before the offer stage.

No other university has the capacity to be that rigorous as they are all so much larger - particular courses are more akin to the selection process (for example Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary where interviews are essential and there are other hurdles to jump before the application process). Their bigger size means that they have increased capacity to deal with any potential blips with over offering (and candidates meeting the offer) and under offering (and having to "find" extra candidates). For the small numbers at Oxbridge, they need to be far nearer 'bang on" with their offer ratio.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now